We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Misleading? (Landlord Buildings insurance)

PoGee
PoGee Posts: 824 Forumite
Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
edited 15 May at 8:47PM in Insurance & life assurance

The insurer I'd been with for decades, stopped doing insurance for landlords so had to look elsewhere.

Previous company only wanted to know about void periods if over 60 days.

Stupidly, I called the new people instead of reading the policy. They told me - oh you should report it on day 1 of void period and there's an extra premium to pay. It was an extra £130. It'll be empty 40 days as new tenants moving in soon.

I read the policy doc after I paid. I've attached the relevant section. I've the 'Platinum' policy which says property can be empty for 90 days. Am I missing something or have these guys just fooled me?

Screenshot (614).png

Comments

  • Worried_fool
    Worried_fool Posts: 282 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Ring up and cancel. Then consider buying it online.

  • PoGee
    PoGee Posts: 824 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    The policy started in March 2026. With them charging me extra over this void period, does it mean the March policy has been cancelled by them? I've emailed a complaint.

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,968 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    What's your "days unoccupied limit"?

  • PoGee
    PoGee Posts: 824 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 15 May at 10:05AM

    It's 90 days. It was an overseas call centre. I've got an email from them saying they're taking money out of my account and that there are new documents online. I'm at work so won't check new docs now but checked my bank account - nothing taken yet.

  • MasterG83
    MasterG83 Posts: 815 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Block the payment and the policy should auto cancel.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. Please complete an SOA if you are looking for debt advice. Link here - https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Baby Step 6/7 . £20000 + saved and invested. £47,000 deposit paid on new home CONSUMER DEBT FREE !!!
  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,253 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    The policy would be voided for non-payment which the OP would have to declare for all future applications for insurance (not just Landlord). The cost of your advice is probably going to be much more than £130 a year let alone on a lifetime basis

  • PoGee
    PoGee Posts: 824 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 15 May at 8:47PM

    I didn't block the payment but they've not taken any money. They had sent an email with the amount owed. On checking documents, they've changed the date from March (actual start of policy) to yesterday's date, with the policy ending mid March 2027. Under the new premium section, it says - N/A. What a hullabaloo over a simple question.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.