We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Possible Invalid Section 21 Notice – Advice Appreciated
Comments
-
I don't suppose you're in a position to make the LL an offer and buy yourself? ( if that's something you'd be interested in doing).
1 -
What also makes this situation difficult to understand is that the landlord owns several other flats in the same area, including one directly opposite mine in the same block. That flat is very small as well (under 30 square metres) and is occupied by a couple who moved in much more recently than I did. Yet my flat is the one being sold.
Maybe the LL is selling all their properties?
Maybe the LL needs to sell one property (or some of the properties) so served notice on all Ts and will then sell the ones that show least resistance.
Maybe something else.
No point trying to second guess these types of things.
1 -
What also makes this situation difficult to understand is that the landlord owns several other flats in the same area, including one directly opposite mine in the same block. That flat is very small as well (under 30 square metres) and is occupied by a couple who moved in much more recently than I did. Yet my flat is the one being sold.
It could be that it has a lower EPC rating, or will do. Could be that the landlord will have a higher / lower CGT liability on this one that the other. Could be that he feels that the current market favours offloading a smaller property. Could be that this one would be harder to let in the future or the return would be lower. It doesn’t really matter what his reason is.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.2 -
for Titus_Wadd
At the moment I am mainly focused on resolving the current situation and securing stability for my work and accommodation, rather than looking at purchasing options.
1 -
to Grumpy_chap
That is fair, and you are probably right that there is little benefit in trying to guess the landlord’s exact reasoning.
At this stage I am mainly focused on understanding my legal position, making sure the correct procedures have been followed, and finding a practical solution that avoids unnecessary disruption to my work and living situation.
0 -
To silvercar
Yes, that is true, there could be many reasons behind the decision and ultimately only the landlord knows the exact reason.
My main concern is simply understanding whether the correct legal process has been followed and making sure I have enough time to relocate my home and self-employed work properly.
0 -
The writing is on the wall. Use your energy in finding a new place. Whether the section 21 is valid or the landlord needs to issue a notice that they are selling up and so need possession, one way or another your tenancy is ending. However long your drag it out, this is only going to end one way. Given that possession hearings and bailiff appointments are taking months, you have time to find somewhere, I’d concentrate on that.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.1 -
You say the property has been up for sale for a long time, how long?
I presume the LL was trying to sell with you as a tenant in situ and now wants to sell as a vacant property.
0 -
"But if there are procedural issues, I do not think it is unreasonable to understand my rights and ensure the process is being handled correctly."
I'd echo the advice of @silvercar and others; karma can really come back to bite you - looking for a technicality to delay the inevitable could backfire spectacularly if you end up with a less than ideal reference from your current landlord.
Every generation blames the one before...
Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
