We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Closing an old card vs not
Comments
-
But if the person on UC was 55 or over then they could Stooze at least £2880 per year via a SIPP and still have access to the funds if they needed to use them to pay back a card.
Obviously their primary reason for making pension contributions would be for the tax relief , the fact that it would also put the funds outside the scope of capital calculations for UC would just be a incidental side effect.
0 -
Wonder what the OP decided to do. This question seems to appear regularly and always by someone with one card that's finished why they got it or two cards wondering if they should close the first.
I got a new card last year 0% purchase that I used for a large purchase and used almost 95% of it's limit. This might have had some worried and all the various CRA's sending red flags, but as I'm using well under 25% of my available credit including a card that I already had with an active BT that I was stoozing from.
My available credit far exceeds my annual salary, have had up to 10 cards open at one point, though periodically close some, such as if wanting to leave it a while so I become a new customer to them. Think the minimum I have had open at once in the last 30 years is 4. So really unless you don't trust yourself with unused credit or are bad at managing your money, there is little point stressing over closing cards.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
