We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
LDK Bletchley Milton Keynes
Looking for a bit of advice before I decide what to do next.
I received a private parking charge notice from LDK Group as the registered keeper of the vehicle. I was not the driver at the time. My original intention was simply to pay the reduced amount and recover the cost from the driver, but life got in the way and I didn’t deal with it immediately.
The original charge was £100 reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days. It has now escalated to £170.
I phoned the parking company using the number on the notice and was told the charge had already been escalated to collections because 28 days had passed. I queried this because the wording on the letter says “after 29 days from the date given”. The issue date on the letter is 13th April, and allowing 2 working days for service would mean today is effectively day 28, which seems to contradict what they were telling me on the phone.
They wouldn’t discuss it any further beyond saying “it’s been escalated”.
The whole blasé attitude has honestly just frustrated me more than the charge itself. As the registered keeper I obviously don’t want this escalating back onto me unnecessarily, but equally it feels like they are taking the mick a bit with the timing and immediate jump to £170.
The alleged overstay was only around 4 minutes over a 30 minute limit according to ANPR timestamps (34 minutes total on site).
I realise in hindsight I probably should have just paid the reduced amount and passed it onto the driver, but at this stage the process itself has annoyed me enough that I’d rather not hand over £170 without at least understanding whether I have any valid grounds to challenge this.
Thanks in advance.
Comments
-
"I realise in hindsight I probably should have just paid the reduced amount and passed it onto the driver"
Nobody here would have advised that! Nobody PAYS a private parking invoice, all the time the industry remains the unregulated Wild West.
How do you know it shows as £170 now?
Does that show on the website today and does it not let you name the driver (see back of PCN for how to do that).
Try putting in the driver's name & address now, today (day 28 from service) to transfer liability. If the website doesn't let you do that, take screenshots TODAY.
Then fire off a complaint to LDK per their Complaints Policy, pointing out that they escalated it prematurely and that a keeper can transfer liability at any time (but in fact this was attempted within 28 days from service). In that complaint, repeat the full name & address of the driver, which discharges all liability for you. It's never too late.
Then when they fob you off, complain to the head of AOS at the BPA. Same complaint. Attach dated screenshots.
NEVER PAY IT. Ignore the £170 threatograms.
PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD0 -
It was already showing on the site as £170 on the 13th. There was no option available to name the driver online, which I have now formally done within a complaint submitted to LDK.
I guess it’s now a case of sitting back and waiting for their response.
Should the driver now expect an escalated PCN, or should it revert back to the original amount? Also, is the advice still for the driver not to pay it either?
0 -
It didn't let you transfer liability?
You got screenshots of course?
And your complaint included this?
" In that complaint, repeat the full name & address of the driver, which discharges all liability for you. It's never too late."
PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
