We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
How long do tax code changes take?
About 2 weeks ago I updated my 2025/26 interest in my HMRC account as it was £700 more than the previous year and I would prefer to spread the tax over more of the year instead of the last few months as normally happens.
I'm just curious as to how long it takes them to update your tax code? You would have thought, in this day and age, it was all done pretty automatically, but clearly not.
Comments
-
I've just updated my estimated income in the HMRC app and got this message:
"Your update has been received. Your account will be updated within 48 hours."
0 -
I don't think it is automatic as plenty of posters (possibly more common on the savings board) report getting a letter asking for individual bank account details after doing what you have done online.
Updating your estimated pay (or pension) seems to work differently and is more automated. Presumably that is what @Tree_pipe99 has done.
0 -
Surely the longer it takes, the longer you have the money and can earn interest on it? Stick equivalent monthly contributions into a regular saver and enjoy the benefit of an interest-free loan from HMRC!
0 -
You cannot amend the code number for 25/26 now. That year is closed.
Any tax due for 25/26 will be calculated in due course, when your tax position for the year is finalised.
0 -
I wasn't amending last year I was amending my interest now I have all my tax certificates. So are you saying I wasted my time so I will simply get a revised tax code towards the end of the year anyway?
0 -
I probably would have been better ringing then so could have done it all in one hit
0 -
You say you have all your certificates. Presumably these are for 25/26.
Interest is assessed in the year you received it.
Did you update the estimate figure for 26//7 in your personal tax account
You should receive a message advising it will be dealt with in X days.
0 -
Yes I did it in my tax account. I've had a good look around and found it under forms submitted. It says 15 days, which has now past
0 -
I had confirmation that my savings income had been updated on 24th May, but no tax code change as yet. I think I'll give them a call and possibly next time do it on the phone
0 -
Just looking at adjusting mine and the final question is "are you still receiving income from your untaxed interest" - what on earth does that mean ?
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

