We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Viability of this POPLA appeal

Hi group!

So I parked in some touristic place, yada yada, got lost on my way back to the car and had an old dog with me. Went over 20m on my paid time (360 minutes vs 383 minutes to be exact)

I think there's a good chance that POPLA would agree there was no bad intent, but I don't know. Some reassurance or better to pay the reduced charge?

It's the second time I get this type of petty automated fine, I'm close to buying a sling and practicing my aim

Comments

  • MannyCalaveras
    MannyCalaveras Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

    Got the authority wrong, it's IAS as it's SmartParking

  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 44,980 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Almost nothing will win in an IAS appeal. Try complaint to the landowner. Thereafter ignore Smart and await a Letter of/before Claim from DCB Legal or Moorside Legal. Come back then, as it’s at that stage there is every chance of getting this out of your hair.

    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

    #Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    "I think there's a good chance that POPLA would agree there was no bad intent,"

    Nope. That's not how POPLA or the IAS work!

    Do not bother to appeal further.

    Just ignore the DR Plus and DCB Ltd £170 threatograms. Do not contact them unless you move house no paying!

    Come back if you get a LBC or Claim Form.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • MannyCalaveras
    MannyCalaveras Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

    Thanks all. Skipping IAS, have emailed LPS who manage the land on behalf of the landowner. Will ignore Smart Parking until an actual Letter Before Claim arrives.

    Quick question - if it does reach court, what are the realistic odds given the car park isn’t listed anywhere publicly and the postcode on their signage doesn’t match the actual location?

  • ChirpyChicken
    ChirpyChicken Posts: 3,616 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Odds are irrelevant

  • MannyCalaveras
    MannyCalaveras Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

    I'm not sure I understood the second line

    As for the thread, the answer is likely no, but do you mean this one?

    Call me a crybaby, I still need a certain level of reassurance whilst holding nobody accountable for it

    If you tell me there's a 60% change that 100% of the cost will be void, as the thread above seems to imply, I'll be happy just waiting

    Otherwise, I'm one of those scared car users

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 May at 4:36PM

    Sorry?

    That thread shows 100% of defended Smart Parking claims are discontinued. ALL CASES! Not 60% chance.

    Yours will be exactly the same when you get the claim. It's what you want.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • MannyCalaveras
    MannyCalaveras Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

    That I understand, thanks @Coupon-mad

    I'll let it sit then, thanks everyone. I'll come back if I need help!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.