We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

DVLA renewal

jaffag73
jaffag73 Posts: 1 Newbie

hi I'm after some advice on how to re apply for driving licence.

last year when my licence ran out, I sent it back to DVLA as at the time I wasn't able to renew the licence.

I haven't got any medical conditions or been disqualified.

I have picked up a d1 form from the post office to fill in but there is no option regarding if you want too re apply if you have handed back licence voluntarily.

the options seem to cover if have medical conditions,disqualification or if licence has been lost, stolen or damaged.

I don't have a passport so not able to go through that route.

I have looked through DVLA website but can't find anything obvious that matches my enquiry.

if I did fill in the form and send a covering letter around the reason why I'm reapplying would that work.

regards

Jaffa😊

Comments

  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    So why did you surrender your licence and did you actually attach documentation explaining why you were returning it?

    If you just cut it up (they always advise you should do so when returning) then it may be you are still licenced and just need to renew.

  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,811 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Last year when my licence ran out, I sent it back to DVLA as at the time I wasn't able to renew the licence.

    When you say it "ran out" do you mean the photocard was due for renewal? If so, your licence has not expired. Assuming you hold a full UK licence with no medical restrictions, your "entitlement to drive" lasts until you are 70.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,468 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Pretty sure you just apply as a renewal, have you tried the online renewal process?

    Hopefully you still have the details of the old licence?

  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 918 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Pertinent question why you returned it. But save yourself a lot of time and trouble and go to a large Post Office they know what they are doing, will take your photo and will guide you past the computer says no problems you, yourself are likely to hit.

    Have you got a note of your licence number? Check what ID is acceptable.

  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I sent it back to DVLA as at the time I wasn't able to renew the licence.

    The OP does not say WHY they were unable to renew it

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,468 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    They may well not wish to give a reason here, what may be pertinent to any attempted renewal is any reason they gave to DVLA at the point of surrender.

  • Archie783
    Archie783 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    Hi Jaffa,

    I was in a similar situation a while ago. If you've voluntarily surrendered your licence and there are no medical conditions, disqualifications or other restrictions, the D1 form itself doesn't have a dedicated box for that.

    What most people do is complete the D1 form as normal and include a short covering letter explaining that the licence was previously surrendered and that you're now reapplying.

    I'd still give DVLA a quick call before posting everything, as they can confirm whether they need any extra supporting documents for your specific circumstances.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.