We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Virtual Visa Debit cards - are they worth it?

Having been a member of Nielsen IQ for a long time, I have accrued quite a few points to convert. I have exchange points for Amazon vouchers in the past, but have noticed that you can also get a virtual visa debit card from them. This is shown as being acceptable at anywhere that accepts Visa debit cards.

Before I go ahead & get one, has anyone used them at all, & are there any downsides to using them? I've read that they have to be used within 6 months & I'd be looking at using it for online purchases only (I've seen it can be hard to use in store sometimes.)

Comments

  • Largs
    Largs Posts: 535 Forumite
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Ive had them in the past. I wasn't keen. Online if you want someothing at £120 and you have a £100 card, this won't work. Or if you spent £89.99 of the £100, spending the balance of £10.01 is tricky too.

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Quite easy to spend up the spare balance at the end, plenty of utility companies take credit card payments as an example.

  • trads2
    trads2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    10 Posts Photogenic

    Hello, I'm not sure about virtual, due to ai and settings could be changed or open to hacking, possible, obviously not really sure. I was a bit nervous about using apps around this sort of thing so shut them down. I'm not expert but if you check …

  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,777 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    As you admit you are not an expert, AI is not some huge bogeyman that does everything and nothing without people noticing

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Why do you think a virtual card would be any easier or harder for AI to select as a card number with matching expiry and CCV than a physical card? Arguably physical cards are the weaker option given the possibility of you losing it or it being stolen from you and so could be used contactlessly without any form of security or need to know PINs etc

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.