We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Vinted ID verification

trying to get my mum verified on vinted so she can withdrawal the £30 she made. The only accepted forms of ID for the UK are driving license and passport. She has neither

She is stuck in an endless loop of automated answers and advisors that aren’t actually reading what is being written. Tried the complaint email, which replied all Italian and then only referrred back to the in app help

how can we get past this? She is elderly and disabled so has no need for driving license or passport and not going to pay £90 for an unnecessary passport just to withdrawal £30 ?

help!

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,431 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    For the sake of £30, why not just spend the money on Vinted on something she might want?

    Or spend the money on Vinted on something you might like and give your Mum the 30 quid?

    Comments elsewhere have suggested that Vinted are not easily persuaded away from Passport/Driving Licence for verification. They've just taken payment processing in-house (Vinted Pay) from Mangopay in March, doubt if they'll be relaxing the rules just yet.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,494 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    That's the official ID required and they won't budge. If the balance was more then the usual advice is to apply for a driving license as it's the cheapest option for ID, however it's not worth it in this case unless your mother wishes to continue to sell.

    You can try as flaneurs_lobster suggested and spend the money on Vinted instead, but it seems a lot of sellers have bene refused that option as well. On one of the fb groups recently someone had been fighting for so long that they gave up, sent an official email request to Vinted legal asking them to donate the money to a named charity instead and close the account. I don't recall if that was ever followed up with the OP coming back to say whether it had worked or not.

    One other thing I've seen suggested, although again it can be hit and miss and can cause issues later is to see if the name on the account can be changed to someone with ID and they confirm their ID and basically take over the account, pull the balance and get account closed. Obviously this cannot be someone who has or has any intention of having a Vinted account as Vinted are strict on the requirements of one personal account per person.

    ID verification is required in a number of places and remembering to check what ID will be required before signing up to any site is recommended.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,232 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Photo ID is probably going to be required more and more. Not just siging up to services now, but their terms could change in the future.

    I had the same issue with Revolut, they were a nightmare. No photo requirement when I joined but one day they said I needed to
    supply photo ID for some made up legal reason. Claiming it was a legal requirement which is was not, none of my other banks/cards
    have asked for photo ID with an existing account.

    Told them NO photo driving licence and NO passport. That's OK I can supply a copy of my Citizen Card? I asked them I have no
    idea what a citizen card is and they said no problem just send your passport. This went on for months until I got bored of their
    threats to closed the account so I just took all the money out.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 8,333 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Does she have a bus pass? These have a photo on and are accepted as ID in many places

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,494 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 12 May at 5:32PM

    Not on Vinted, as above it is passport or driving license only.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GOMUZGO
    GOMUZGO Posts: 1 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    Vinted are a nightmare, currently have a Vinted pro account with almost £3000 in the account, sent my Utr letter from HMRC and still waiting for Vinted. Vinted has really poor customer/ seller service, they never actually answer questions so end up going round in circles, just provide links that also never answer the question, be good for Martin Lewis to actually create a program on itv relating to current online platforms that now play a big part in our daily lives, as buyers and sellers.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,494 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I understand one of the watchdog type programmes on BBC did one, Also, alledgedly and according to the various forums and groups - it increased the membership of Vinted by a great many new users. They do say no publicity is bad publicity!

    However on a serious note, I too believe there ought to be more available assistance, not just generic bots that fail to understand even basic questions. Just last month I had a minor issue (I was the seller) and used their support .All the responses I got assumed I was th ebuyer, despite me going back stating clearly that I was the SELLER.

    Yet on another occasion I asked a question about a parcel that looked stuck , it had sat in the collection point for 4 weeks , although the buyer had sent me a message saying how much they liked the item, and buyer then stopped responding to me. On that occasion I had a human response in 10 minutes , they contacted buyer to ask them to confirm it had been collected and apparently warned them if they didn't respond to say yes or no then sale would be finalised. about 5o hours later I got a message from Vinted saying buyer had not responded, so sale was finalised and my money released. If only questions could be dealt that quickly as normal.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,431 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    All valid points, but Vinted Pay (and any other licenced/regulated money system) have to act under the regulations, in particular KYC. As they themselves say

    Why you may be asked for your ID

    Our payment service providers — VintedPay or Mangopay — will ask you to provide personal data to verify your identity as part of a “Know Your Customer” (KYC) and “Know Your Business” (KYB) check whilst using your Vinted Balance.

    This is a legally required procedure that helps keep Vinted safe and prevent illegal activities like fraud and money laundering.

    Not sure what other options a legitimate business that wishes to be compliant has available.

    Would the regulator be happy if their KYC checks were passed on production of a bus pass or council tax letter (either of which could be knocked-up in Acrobat in about 10 minutes)?

  • elkiedee
    elkiedee Posts: 145 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    This is useful information. As a buyer I was able to collect from the local shop with an alternative photo ID. I need to understand what this requirement covers before listing items for sale, as I don't anticipate making more cash than I can spend on other things to begin with.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,494 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    the only ID accepted on Vinted to verify a selling account is a passport or driving license. There are no alternatives and the cheapest option is to get a provisional driving license.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.