We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Nationwide Interest statements
Hi
My 84 year old mum has been sent a letter to do a self assessment for year ending April 2025
She has 3 bank accounts, Paragon, Santander, & Nationwide
I have downloaded the interest statements from santander and Paragon as they are available on the website
Nationwide however only shows the last year (April 2026) in her account so to get the previous statement I have to request it by post
I have done this twice already, each time it says they will be delivered within 10 working days
They never arrive, and now time is ticking and I only have 4 weeks to file it.
My mum is partially deaf, can't talk on the phone very well, doesn't have the internet or a smart phone, and has never needed to do a self-assessment before
HMRC know what the figures are as the untaxed interest amount shows on her HMRC gateway account
How do I resolve this
I need the figures from nationwide, who fail to send them, and stupidly aren't available online
I can't complete the return without the figures
Its starting to worry her, as she thinks she will be punished
Help?
Comments
-
Could she have older statements filed away somewhere from when the interest was added to her accounts?
1 -
You don't need to use official interest certificates, you can just take the numbers from normal statements.
1 -
Visit a Nationwide branch and they can print the statements at the counter. Your Mother will probably have to be with you.
1 -
Thanks
One of the accounts ran over 2 tax years, and when it was closed the interest was added to the new opening account, but it added from the year before, I believe
0 -
4 years ago when my dad had dementia and couldn’t pass a bank security check on the phone, we found a letter worked. He could still sign his name and would read the letter before signing it.
Letters might be slower but in my limited experience they get results.Could you write a letter for your mum to sign and then you post? Perhaps send it signed/recordrd delivery.
0 -
Nationwide however only shows the last year (April 2026) in her account so to get the previous statement I have to request it by post
Don't rely on the Nationwide online tax summary statement - it only shows accounts which are still open and doesn't show details for any accounts which have been closed since the start of the previous tax year, even if taxable interest was paid.
I needed some previous year's certificates recently and requested them in online banking - they all arrived (separate envelopes) about a week later. So if you've requested them twice and they've not shown up then you (your mum) need to ask Nationwide why not - it suggests a system problem, for example that they are posting them to an old address or something.
0 -
Might be worth contacting HMRC and asking why your mother has been put into the SA system - sometimes it get's triggered by mistake, and people with simple tax affairs generally shouldn't be on it.
About the only reason I can think of is that the untaxed interest reported on her accounts has gone over some threshold.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
