We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Capital one increasing limit restrictions

Desmond2000
Desmond2000 Posts: 14 Forumite
10 Posts

Hi, I have a capital one credit card with a limit of £450 which I am happy with as a pensioner. Recently I have been offered an increase to £1,200. I do not want a limit that high but would be happy with a lower limit of £600. I contacted capital one and asked them but they refused telling me that was the only offer on the table. They told me if I want, I could accept the limit of £1,200 and at a later date reduce it to £600. This seems to be a blatant way of forcing people into debt. Has anyone had experience of this or can offer any advice on it as I am reluctant to accept this as is.

«1

Comments

  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,777 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    No-one is forced to spend.

    Do you always spend £450 a month now given you have a limit of that? If not, why do you think having a limit of £1200 would make you spend that much?

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

  • Desmond2000
    Desmond2000 Posts: 14 Forumite
    10 Posts

    I think that having a credit limit of £1,200 could lead someone into over spending or do you think that everyone that has a credit card is responsible person and nobody would over spend?

    Why would a credit card company object to someone wanting to act carfully and responsibly

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,253 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    @Desmond2000 you can act responsibly with ANY credit limit, I cannot understand why you would think otherwise.

    As I said previously, you have choices.

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I agree. For those without much self control in spending the ongoing increases in card limits has definitely caused many to get in to debt. It's because of this that card companies have been told they need to be more responsible with the increases they give, they can't just up things automatically as in the past and need to be able to decrease the limits when requested.

    Because you appear to know what you require I might suggest you can accept the option to increase to £1200 and immediately tell them to decrease it to the £600 you prefer. If they refuse this would be a reason to lodge a complaint. But why the individual you were talking to couldn't do this immediately when you asked is odd. They should know how to manage limits for their customers so either they haven't been trained on this or it needs to be referred to a specific team.

    Your other option would be to apply to a different company with better customer service and get rid of the old card.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,777 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I think anyone could in theory overspend on any limit based on their income and affordability, just as they could borrow money they can't afford to pay back so it's a moot point.

    Your post said it was a "blatant way of forcing people into debt" which it clearly isn't, people choose to spend money, they are not forced to, nor are they forced to accept it

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 2,808 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 7 May at 4:08PM

    Do you think that everyone who has a car or kitchen knife is responsible and that nobody would use them irresponsibly? Should we ban companies from offering these to the public too?

    A knife or a car is a tool, just like a credit card. The only difference is that the credit card companies have access to credit reports to judge if someone is financially responsible or not.

    I am assuming that because you have been offered a 3 fold increase in your credit limit that they must consider that you are?

    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 5,725 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    This seems to be a blatant way of forcing people into debt.

    This does not 'force' people into anything. Having a limit does not mean that you have to use it.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I fully agree with the others that giving someone a higher limit doest cause someone to be in more debt, the person using that higher limit is what does. That said the FCA doesnt fully agree with me and hence we get all the nonsense about irresponsible lending (rather than irresponsible borrowing).

    It's not a big issue though is it given you could accept the limit increase and potentially minutes later request the limit be reduced to £600. With most banks reduction of limits are fully automated, they arent going to say no, so other than maybe having a day or two for things to flow through archaic IT systems its really a none problem. If you can't trust yourself for 48 hours then get destroy the card and ask for a replacement which will take longer than that to get to you.

  • redux
    redux Posts: 23,147 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I have a card with a £12600 limit. They said they'd close it if I didn't use it. I spent about £26 two months ago and now the balance is zero again

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.