We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Selling car - repair paint scrape first?

Hophiphop
Hophiphop Posts: 3 Newbie
Second Anniversary First Post

I have a white Ford Kuga, which has a scraped wing mirror. Should I get this repaired before selling? I assume any buyer will want a small price reduction because of it. I have absolutely no experience in doing this kind of repair myself.

I guess I am asking this - will the price reduction be more or less than the cost of someone fixing the wing mirror?

«1

Comments

  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Age and mileage ?

  • Hophiphop
    Hophiphop Posts: 3 Newbie
    Second Anniversary First Post

    Car is 2022 and about 15,500 mileage

  • Hophiphop
    Hophiphop Posts: 3 Newbie
    Second Anniversary First Post

    and for what it is worth : a

    Ford Kuga ST-LINE X EDITION HEV CVT

  • ChargebackCharlie
    ChargebackCharlie Posts: 28 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic

    A prospective (private buyer) might try to haggle more than the cost of the repair, so on that basis, it might be worth you getting it done yourself.

  • sheenas
    sheenas Posts: 569 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Making sure your car is in the best possible condition will improve the chances of sale dramatically.

  • Altior
    Altior Posts: 2,148 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Depends who you are selling to. Private yes, dealer, no, par for the course and they will have people they use, if not themselves that will sort it for lower cost than you can. P/x and I wouldn't bother either.

  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 May at 6:53PM

    A proper repair - even a Smart one - will cost £100 to £200.

    Any sort of DIY attempt will always be visible and will put people off more than if you just leave it.

    I'd be getting some quotes from the Smart Repair guys.

  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts

    If it is just the plastic painted cover look for replacement on eBay. Appears to be some for around £20 to £40.

  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 9,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I had a Vauxhall about 10 years ago. Covers came in black, about £15 each from dealers. Replaced both, and buyers were none the wiser that they had been body coloured.

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,236 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Buying a sub 5 year old car and finding damage I would assume the owner didn't care about the vehicle and
    likely to have skimped on other items also. That maybe a wrong assumption but it's worked for me for many
    years.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.