We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How to ask for a Speed Awareness course?

12346»

Comments

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,968 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes, they can use the same methods available to any other voter who is also otherwise engaged on polling day (I originally registered for postal voting after getting a council job and suspecting I might be drafted in for electoral duties, though disappointingly never was).

  • ripofflondon
    ripofflondon Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May at 12:05PM

    3 ways: 1 - if the station they are working in is also their local station then that's obvs easy; or

    2 - if the station they are working in is near enough to their local station then they can go there in their lunch break; or

    3 - if the station they are working in is too far away from their local station OR if they are the Presiding Officer (like I was) meaning that they can't physically leave the station all day then postal.

  • ripofflondon
    ripofflondon Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I am a bit intrigued by this as certainly for the council I work for (a local one in Ldn) you don't wait to get drafted in for an election; they advertise for staff wanted and you must apply.

    Interestingly, a Spanish work colleague was telling me that in Spain elections are staffed by members of the public who have been drafted in randomly by being summoned from the Spanish version of the Electoral Roll very much in the same way as jury service in the UK - it is seen as a civic duty. Would have thought that would lead to some of the people doing the job when they didn't want to be, with attendant implications for accuracy etc etc.

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,968 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Well not literally drafted in, but I wasn't initially sure of the process and it seemed there were enough "regulars" available that I didn't get a shift anyway.

  • ripofflondon
    ripofflondon Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May at 12:12PM

    Am sorry.

    I have been doing it since I started there in 1999 and every time I have applied I've got it and they all know me etc etc; I assumed that everyone else who applied would get it also, but obvs I wouldn't know about the %s who DIDN'T get it.

  • ripofflondon
    ripofflondon Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Hi all

    I promised to let you know the outcome of my message to Devon & Cornwall police.

    It was as expected, but he did make a point about ensuring consistency across all police forces - fair enough I suppose.

    TBH I would have been more surprised if the response had been different but I wanted to be able to tell myself I’d tried.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, if you don’t ask you don’t get etc etc. 

    Thanks all for your input. 

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.