Is this approach to BR OK?

Options
Morning all, (it's 5.42 am....)

It is looking like we will be going BR within the next month or so. My plan is initially to send a letter requesting all creditors to 'Hold Action' for 28 days and send then all a token payment. I will in addition to this Hold Action letter, cancel their respective direct debits. Meanwhile that gives me time to arrange for my pay to go into another account and collect the court fees together. After the 28 days, I will send a further letter to all creditors advising that we (Mr & Mrs) are petitioning for personal bankruptcy. Does that sound OK?

Thanks again

Bald Runner
In the beginning, there was nothing.
The Lord said "Let there be light".
There was still nothing, but you could see it.

Comments

• Walter_J
    Walter_J Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds fine to me, but I wouldn't wait the 28 days before petitioning for bankruptcy. Rather than wasting money on 'token payments' I'd use it for the fees. Send the token payments if you want to buy a little time but let the cheques bounce!
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my experience they ignore the letter for token payments. Out of my 15 or so creditors only 2 responded positively and the rest phoned and phoned and when I took the phone calls, all they wanted was a debit card payment. When I told them I had written with my SOA, then they finally 'found' the letter. So really they knew before they phoned that I couldn't pay but still asked for payment. I wouldn't bother to tell them you are going BR because until you actually do they won't take it seriously.

:j :j

• maxmycardagain
    Options
    i sent out 8 offers of reduced payments (bewteen £15 and £65 per month) and two refused point blank, in effect leaving me no option to go BR.
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    Options
    Essentially, if your are to be BR in a month it doesnt matter what you do, your creditors have no time to take any action against you. Your most important task is to have your income paid in to a new basic bank account. Barclays, co op apparently nationwide all offer bank accounts to bankrupts. Make sure you draw your money from your current account this month as soon as it goes in.

After your BR you might want to provide your BR number to your creditors as proof, but the OR does that anyway.

Best

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    In my experience they ignore the letter for token payments. Out of my 15 or so creditors only 2 responded positively and the rest phoned and phoned and when I took the phone calls, all they wanted was a debit card payment. When I told them I had written with my SOA, then they finally 'found' the letter. So really they knew before they phoned that I couldn't pay but still asked for payment. I wouldn't bother to tell them you are going BR because until you actually do they won't take it seriously.
    I found the opposite when the phoned they got told take the payments or make DH br either way get off my phone line.They are all sitting happily with their payment plans, well ok not happily but at least they are quiet.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• fiveyearplan
    Options
    I suppose it works for some, I didn't find that myself. I've also noticed people saying some creditors are more difficult to deal with than others. I've found it really depends who you get on the phone. For instance, we (OH and I) found Barclaycard easy to negotiate with but MBNA nearly impossible. I've heard some people say Barclaycard were worse etc. I don't think there's any science to it.

• fiveyearplan
    Options
    Barclays, co op apparently nationwide all offer bank accounts to bankrupts.
    DD

I don't think Nationwide offer that account to BRs anymore.

• debt_doctor
    Options
    I don't think Nationwide offer that account to BRs anymore.

Yes, I keep hearing that, but when I rang their head office three months ago they said their policy had not changed, although they dont guarentee an account to anyone.

I have had accounts opened by BR clients at Nationwide in the last 3 months, the latest basic bank accounts booklet still has them listed as a "BR friendly " bank.

That said, I still hear on here that folks have been refused so ........:confused:

DD
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I don't think Nationwide know what their policy is :confused:. If they do they haven't told their staff properly. I've read of more refusals than acceptances, so it is no-longer almost "guaranteed" as it once was.

The FSA basic bank account booklet (website) is now 6 months out of date, where it says it should be updated quarterly.

This one: http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    Yes, its confusing isnt it. We received the latest revision of the basic bank accounts booklet about 6 weeks ago. Nationwide are still in there as Br friendly, but it seems to be a local branch lottery at the mo.

DD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure