We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Halifax Home Insurance

Recently had a renewal notice from Halifax re Home Insurance. I wanted to discuss the renewal ,as I did the usual and got a large number of considerably cheaper quotes.

I'm afraid Halifax have gone down the route of making it almost impossible to talk to a human. You can go through a process of Cancelling your policy and their system will offer you a small discount. You call their number and it just sends a text directing you back to their web portal. Awful service.

They offer on-line "chat", but that is a robot and you can't get to a human.


Kind Regards,

Bill

Comments

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,961 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I wouldn't overthink it, they've obviously decided it isn't worth their while paying humans to haggle. Another insurer I've encountered simply says at the outset "this is our best quote, don't bother trying to get us to reduce it".

  • MACKEM99
    MACKEM99 Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Go elsewhere, they have lost your business.

  • Exactly the same experience here.

    My renewal came in 20% higher than last year, despite no changes to circumstance. I couldn't get through to anyone to speak to, but I followed their awful AI bot process, to be offered my renewal at just a 3% increase from last year.

    But out of interest I got a "new customer" quote using the next door neighbours' address (but exactly the same cover details other than that) and that quote came out 20% cheaper than my renewal.

    I thought the practice of Price Walking / Loyalty Penalties were supposed to be banned?

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Soon everything with the Halifax brand will be merged into LLoyds, including home insurance. Maybe they already started reducing the head count.

    My renewal came today at 12.5% higher. Looking at google, the trend for home insurance premiums is broadly flat, so an increase like that is unacceptable.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Quick update.

    Went on Halifax website to 'manage my Renewal'

    Clicked on 'I am thinking of cancelling' - In the dropdown box clicked on 'cheaper elsewhere'

    Five seconds later - a new quote, now nearly 5% cheaper than last year, so 17% less than the renewal quote.

    Strange way of doing things, although a good end result.

  • MarzipanCrumble
    MarzipanCrumble Posts: 453 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    So cynical of Halifax! Let us try to fleece the customer but if that doesn't work, then Ok will offer to keep them especially if a worthwhile customer.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.