We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
CGT on main residence – moving abroad before completion (final 9 months + non-resident)
RPtax
Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi all,
I’d appreciate a sense check on CGT treatment for my main residence as I move abroad.
Facts:
- Bought UK property in 2020
- Have lived in it as my only/main residence the entire time (~5 years)
- Plan to leave the UK and become non-resident in September 2026 (moving to Australia)
- Property will be on the market before I leave, but likely completion may be a few months after (e.g. December 2026)
Understanding so far:
- I believe I qualify for full Private Residence Relief
- Including the “final 9 months” rule, which should cover the period after I leave
- So even if I complete after becoming non-resident, the entire ownership period should be covered
Questions:
- Is it correct that I would have no CGT liability in the UK if completion is within 9 months of leaving?
- Does becoming non-UK resident before completion affect entitlement to PRR in any way?
- Are there any traps I’m missing under the non-resident CGT rules (e.g. rebasing, reporting etc.)?
For completeness:
- The property has never been let
- No periods of absence other than the move abroad
- No business use
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
0
Comments
-
I wouldn’t rely on opinions in a public forum. I’d get professional advice.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards