We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PCN - Parking Fine

Hey all!

I am hoping for some advice, so any would be appreciated!

On Friday, 24/04/2026 I received a letter from a balliff company telling me it’s a final notice for a penalty charge that occurred on the 14/12/2026. This is the first time I had heard or seen of this, I had no idea it was even happening. It is a car parking fine for a car park which is a £3 flat rate on Sundays. I have not been receiving the original letters that must have been sent, because unfortunately after moving address I had forgotten to update my registered address on my car.

The 14/12/2025 is a Sunday. So within that car park, Sunday charges are £3 and you pay on exit. I have entered the car park at around 3/4 pm as I play ice hockey for the local team. As I have finished, I have come out to the car park and the two payment machines which operate there were broken and not working. I have therefore downloaded the "your parking space" app so that I could make payment. When I went to pay on exit, within the app, it does not allow you to turn the time back to when you first entered the car park. It would only allow me to make payment from the time it was there and then. Which was roughly 8:30pm. Therefore, I have put the time in the app, to enough of a time so that the payment would be over £3... so that I am covering my parking charge. 
I have made payment for my parking on this day. The timings of which I have paid for through the app are not correct... but that is because the app would not let me pull the clock back to the time I entered. However, I have paid over £3 for the parking, therefore covering my stay at the car park on the 14/12/2025, which is £3 for Sunday hours. 

I have phoned the balliff company and they have told me I cannot dispute as it is past that period of time and are chasing me for payment. However like I said, I have only just found out this is even a thing.

How do I go about battling this? Do I have a case?
From my side, I feel like I have paid for my parking on that day. Yes the hours were incorrect, but that was due to their machines being broken and the app not working correctly. However I have paid the £3 flat rate. While also not personally receiving any letters and only knowing about this for 5 days today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.