We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.Old Style Daily Tuesday 28 April 2026
Comments
-
Morning all, thanks @Gers for today's start, I hope you enjoyed last night's show.
We escaped any rain yesterday although at one point it did look as if it might pay a visit. This morning is overcast, the sun is due back by lunchtime but top 'feels like' temperatures will only reach around 11 or 12 deg. It should be improving from tomorrow but will it stay for the May Day Bank Holiday? I can't believe we've got to this point in the year already! 😶
Yesterday's collection of DS's tablets was successful but my surgery visit for NHS login info slightly less so, in that I have a form to fill in and return (with ID) before receiving a letter with the details. Luckily, I'm not in any hurry. Once the sun has come out to play I'll have a walk up to the Co-op for milk and a TV guide; before then I'll get on with the daily stuff.
DS's day on the new job was fine but made longer than need be because 'someone' in the admin section hadn't enabled the two expenses cards he needs for the job (one for EV charging and one for anything else). Waiting for that to be done plus a charge of the car added an extra hour and a half to the journey; fortunately he does get paid for waiting time. Today itinerary takes in Sheffield, Coventry and Gloucester so, in theory, he should be home at a more reasonable time. On Wednesday he's off up to Edinburgh, a drive he used to do regularly in his last job. Good job he enjoys driving!
@camelot - I hope your young lady enjoys her work experience, I'm sure you'll do your best to make her feel part of the team.
@TA - Oh no, another fall after your break. Look after those wounds, don't want infection setting in. Take it easy too, the jobs can wait.
@AA - Have an enjoyable new-to-you walk today.
@Coxy - I feel your pain with the bites on your legs. That happened to me once in Spain so I know what it's like.
@Ruby - Not heard of that remedy for bites - sounds a bit like torture! 😮
@Rosy - I'm so sorry to hear of your cousin's passing, such a shock. X
@mehefin - I'm sorry to hear of your friend's bad news. You do feel helpless but being there for her will let her know you care.
@SSue - Those battles between head and heart are always difficult to reconcile; whatever you decide to do it won't be an easy decision so take your time. Hugs if you need any. X
Right, this won't get the baby a new bonnet so I'll love you and leave you. Take care all, have the best day you can. X
Be kind to others and to yourself too.8 -
Back home - I went up to the big town very early as the council workmen are laying / spraying new tarmac around the tracks all week. It's possible that the part outside my house is being done tomorrow so I wanted some shopping beforehand, also had two orders to return to Marks. I'm done with online shopping for now!
As I stepped out the door this morning I stopped to listen to the cuckoos call, then a large long-eared hare appeared in the field, lifted its head, looked at me then began to nibble grass. Great start to my day.
The show wasn't too good, parts were very enjoyable whilst other bits were odd. The journey home turned out to be really lovely though the first half hour was spent in roadworks and traffic jams outside the bus station. Then there was a diversion to get through. Poor drivers, the one I had was mostly cheerful though he sighed every so often. No break at Inveraray as there were people on board who had to make the ferry to Islay so he stopped for two minutes - some folk piled out, light a cigarette or pulled out a vape, had a few puffs and were back on board pdq.
My nephew, Lawrence, had sent me a John Cooper Clark tea towel with a very rude word on it so I've sent him the free pen supplied by the comedian on Sunday night. He'll get the joke. 😀
Sorry to read the bad news today about cousins and friends and those who are ill. Now for brunch! Hugs to all.
9 -
thanks for all your concern ,can’t think of a way to share more without possibly outing those concerned
I expect it will sort itself out somehow
It is 5 yrs today since my beloved DH died , can’t believe it’s that long ,miss him so much and he would have helped and talked .
Stay safe all and Thankyou
11 -
I’m late today I’ve done 2 cleaning jobs today one is just a lady I go to once a month I’m pleased it’s over i was shattered when I got in . The man who is sorting the window out called yesterday to measure up the cricket club rang last night to see how much he was charging hubby said we have no idea never asked him as it’s not us that’s paying the bill so I suggest you ask him all we got was a ok bye I’m still furious as I still think it was done deliberately and when my hubby went storming round he said he knew well he could come to the door for a ball but couldn’t come about a window put out iwill shut up now as I’m just making myself more annoyed. TA take care of yourself we don’t bounce like we used to feet up and rest . Ruby I hope the doctor can sort out your tummy 10 days is a long time to be poorly. Rosy sorry about your cousin how sad . Suffolk sue I will be thinking about you and I hope you don’t have to much to deal with . Remmie I know what you mean about your memory I’m writing more and more things down I think my head is full now well that’s my excuse. We are having a easy tea it could be anything I haven’t even thought about it yet . I don’t intend on doing much else today I’m going to make a cuppa and I might wash the kitchen floor it’s more likely I might not . Thinking of all the poorlies hugs to those that need them have a good day everyone whatever you are doing
8 -
@RedRuby1231 - The United Nations put out a recipe for when someone can’t keep any food down and is getting dehydrated: 1 quart of water, ½ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons any sugar syrup (golden syrup?). Doesn't taste like much so we mixed it with 7-up. Just a tablespoon at a time to start. Keep refrigerated until used or just mix a small amount up at a time. We use it at my house ever since my sister was really sick (about 60 years ago). Sort of like a sports drink. My roommate prefers the sports drinks.
@TravellingAbuela - I hope you can take it easy for awhile after your fall. Must hurt a lot. I have fallen like that a couple of times.
@Coxy11 - I use regular toothpaste on bites.
7
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

