We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Financial assessment for care

2»

Comments

  • bindyboo
    bindyboo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    Hi I did discover Beacon tonight after googling, but still I'm concerned about the 90 minutes consultation and if it drags on how much things could cost. I am finding things very hard, with working, visiting my dad, shopping cleaning etc. I dont drive so have to go back and forth. It's taking it's toll on me and the worry of it all

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,262 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    You really need to have a proper look at the domains and how they work, which is where the beacon initial assessment comes in.
    Or reading the Information and trying to get your head round it before making any decisions. Being disabled and immobile in bed is not in and of itself a primarily health need. Nor is needing help with (as an example) foodpreparation and nutrition unless there are some complications around that such as a special diet or taking a lot longer.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • bindyboo
    bindyboo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    I rang Beacon an d the need a checklist doing by a district nurse. I messaged the doctors asking for a referal and they said to ring the district nurse. I rang them and they said my dad isnt known to them as he hasnt used them since last year.

    So I'm waiting for a message back for a doctor to refer him to one. It's all hardwork is this.

    I spoke to AGE Uk, they said there is a shortage of social workers so dad has been waitig since Jan for one.

    I am also wondering if he ever has to sell the house and go into a Nursing home, how that would work.

    What if the house takes ages to sell, how does he pay? What happens to the money if he doesnt use that amount up after he passes away?

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,262 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    If he has a power of attorney, they can make the arrangements. The local authority would also accept a deferred payment agreement which means they agree to pay the care home in the interim until the property is sold at which point they are reimbursed.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • bindyboo
    bindyboo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    I have the power of attorney for finances and health.

    Anyway I contacted beacon, they said he needs a checklist doing by a doctor or nurse. They have tunred him down for a distric nurse to do it and said I have to go through beacon who contacts a social worker which he hasnt got, so I'm going round in circles

  • bindyboo
    bindyboo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    I rang Beacon who told me to get a points assessment that it had to come from the doctor or a district nurse. I told them that and they said he needs a social worker for that. So I am still going round in circles. He now has £27,000 left with a weekly bill of £1,323 for his care out of that to pay.

    I rang the council today, cant get through whatever I do. Either get cut off or told to email. It's ridiculous

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,262 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 May at 9:54PM

    The checklist can be completed by any trained health or social care professional so the GP and local authority seems to be being as bad as each other at the moment.

    Forget the checklist for now - if there are no health professionals involved other than the GP and no need for district nurses - that doesn’t on the face of it indicate any particular nursing needs for him to checklist on.

    Concentrate on getting a social worker now that his savings are approaching the 23K mark. He will need a care act needs assessment for them to take over funding his care. Local authorities are prioritising as they are very stretched but most of them have online referral systems - have you looked on their website to find that information because you could put on that the need for a prompt assessment because of his finances. Or you could email as suggested. If you’re getting no response at all your only other option is to go down the formal written complaints route but you’re going to need more than one attempt to contact them to be able to do that.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.