We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Eviction problems with form N5B

Brief version,

I became an involuntary landlord after the original landlord died and named me as executor of the will.

I have served a section 21 on the tennents, that notice period has passed and they are still refusing to leave.

I am now applying for an accelerated possession order using form N5B and having the following problems:

Q6-8 I do not know the date the property was originally let out. Sometime in 2000 is the best I can find.

I have a copy of the most recent tennancy agreement which covered 2024-2025. The S21 was issued shortly after this one ended.

I am guessing, as there was a written agreement for 24-25, there would have been one each year but I am unable to find them.

The form asks me to provide a copy of each agreement and mark them A1, A2 etc.

Q15, asks if the property is genuinely for sale.

It is not currently for sale. The will creates a PDIT of this rented property to a 3rd party hence possession is needed so the 3rd party can take possession of it. Alongside that I have no intention to stay as landlord but the way this question reads seems to suggest I can not claim possession unless I wish to sell the property? Is that correct?

Q17, Asks if a valid gas safety certificate was given to the tenant before occupation of the property. I do have all of the gas safety certificates but as I don't know what date they moved in I don't know if they were provided before this or not.

Q17B, Asks for date of issue of the gas safety certificates and the date when they were given to the tennents. Again, I have them all and presume copies were given to the tennents but I don't know the dates.

How do I proceed with this?

Covering letter?

«1

Comments

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,484
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Are you also a beneficiary of the will? If not I would be highly tempted to dump this on the beneficiaries once you have probate.

  • se2020
    se2020 Posts: 742
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Yes, I am a beneficiary so it's in my own interest to deal with the hassle!

  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 16,035
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Apologies but you do not appear to even know how to spell tenant correctly. It may thus be prudent to get a qualified lawyer specialising in landlord/tenant matters to handle things.

    I've made mistakes out of my ignorance as a landlord. Painful, expensive, long drawn out. Not recommended!

    Good luck.

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,501
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    As above you are out of your depth with missing agreements etc. Get professional advice or any eviction attempt will fail on a technicallity

  • se2020
    se2020 Posts: 742
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thats the autocorrect on my phone due to my day job being involved with the sale of alcohol!

  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,681
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Q15 asks..

    Has the Claimant been served with a relevant notice in relation to
    the condition of the property or relevant common parts under s.11,
    s.12 or s.40(7) of the Housing Act 2004?

    Have you been served such a notice? If not you tick no and go straight to Q16, therefore no need to answer Q15i.

    Where things get sticky is around the service of gas safety certificates. Courts have decided not to award possession orders due to missing or incorrectly completed gas safety certificates. Cassell vs Sidhu went through the courts for years only reaching a resolution last year. I would suggest taking a punt at the key dates e.g. the 2024-25 fixed term AST is likely to have started the day immediately following the end of the original fixed term. However, you need to sign a 'Statement of Truth' at the end of N5B so it depends on your appetite for risk.

    You could, rather than use accelerated possession, because you're missing key information go down the N119 route but that means having a hearing. Alternatively you could wait until 1st May when the Renters Rights Act 2025 is in force and use a Section 8 with the new ground 1A.

  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,377
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Problem with waiting is that valid grounds for possession are sale or moving in of close family. Not sure either one of those is satisfied here.

  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,681
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I'm a little confused by what the OP is trying to achieve.

    Assuming that PDIT stands for Post‑Death Interest Trust, and the 3rd party requires possession but for what purpose? If it's to live in themselves then ground 1 (occupation by landlord or family) could be an option. If it's so that the 3rd party can receive rental income then no need to evict the current tenants.

  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 5,925
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I have served a section 21 on the tennents, that notice period has passed and they are still refusing to leave.

    ..

    I have a copy of the most recent tennancy agreement which covered 2024-2025. The S21 was issued shortly after this one ended.

    When exactly was the S21 served? There's a limit on how long you have to go to court before the S21 becomes void and you have to start again.

  • se2020
    se2020 Posts: 742
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I'm running out of time.

    I've given them as long as possible to find somewhere else but they have made no effort to do so.

    None of us want to be landlords.

    Even if we did, the current tenants won't leave because they can't find anywhere else for anything like the same price (and can't afford to pay any more than what they pay now)

    It would hardly be a smart business decision to keep renting it out at well below market rate with tenants that can't afford to pay market rate.

    There is no intention to sell the property at this stage.

    If a 'close family member' wanted to move in would that need to be a member of the deceased landlords family, the executors/current landlord family or a member of the 3rd parties family?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.