We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What happens in the event of the can'tbebothered Mr. Amazon driver?

Different cases here but never actually looked in to it because so far nothing has gone wrong but it's only a matter of time.

At the moment I'm off work so no problem. If I order parcels when I'm at work then I have them routed to a locker or a relative if possible. OH has had parcels delivered to the house though & so far they've put them down the side of the house tucked in near the side door.

Today I only know there was a delivery because the room with the PC looks out on to the road & I could see someone approaching the driveway.

No knock on the door, no ring of the bell. Phone beeps & it says Amazon parcel delivered. I go & have a look & the parcel is leaning against the front door. 10am.

Absolutely nothing at all stopping some passer buy taking it - had I not been at home.

So question there is - I'd get home from work, no parcel yet the system will say it's been delivered & probably a photo to go with it (although if the usual courier photos are anything to go by it'd be a front door under a microscope lens - does anyone recognise this patch of white?!).

So what'd happen in the event I go to claim & say item didn't arrive when I was home yet yes that's my front door?

Second scenario -

I've often had items delivered to my relatives house & they've told me that they've been out & heard a big thud. They go to look & the parcel has just been launched over the gate/hedge & landed wherever. One time they were walking in the garden & nearly had it landed on their head.

Again, so far no major problem apart from annoyances because the items weren't damaged. But in the event an item does get damaged - do you have to prove it was because of the idiot vanman & not yourself?

🤐🤐🤐

Comments

  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,035
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 April at 2:55PM

    I've got a ring doorbell camera, I strongly recommend one. I get told someone's at the door without them knocking, and I can prove no delivery was made, and how it was made.

    You take a picture of the item out of the box and if it looks damaged, then report it immediately. Amazon orders that's fulfilled by them take it back. Not had issues. Either way you have 30 days to return a faulty item, even if it's not a delivery problem.

    Your Amazon driver sounds like my evri driver. They'd never ring the bell, probably because of some abusive customers they'd rather not deal with.

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,352
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 April at 3:08PM

    The item is not delivered until it's delivered to you so a pic of the doorstep actually proves they just left it on the doorstep so not delivered to you. Also you should never give instructions to put it somewhere, behind the gate for example, because that means you have accepted responsibility for it being left and not delivered to you so if it's stolen you don't have a leg to stand on.

    This Trading Standards document explains it all

    https://www.tradingstandards.uk/media/3177516/delivery-charges-consultation.pdf

    Also it now seems to be an increasing problem that when you order something valuable it's either not in the box or something else is in the box. If I order anything valuable I always film myself opening it just in case

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Yeah I actually have a Tapo doorbell. It's not bad but it doesn't have a 100% hit rate. Better than nothing I guess.

    Yeah it's very very rare I tick "leave in safe place" for the reason you mentioned. The way I see it, there's nothing stopping the driver putting it in the safe place, taking a photo, picking it back up & stuffing it inside their jacket & walking off.

    OH often ticks these boxes but I almost always never do.

    When I get asked about safe places I say there isn't one.

    But what about a neighbour? ………. No.

    No neighbours? ………….. No.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • rollingmoon
    rollingmoon Posts: 320
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Amazon were, to be fair, pretty good at replacing courier damaged/wet through items. Whether they're still like that now, or not, I don't know, as I stopped using them several years ago; primarily - if not entirely - because I was having to spend more time than I was happy with chasing replacement goods.

    I've never had problems claiming from couriers in any of the scenarios you describe. The one time I had to claim for a stolen item, the courier produced a photo of the item on my driveway in full view of the road as 'proof of safe delivery', which actually proved they'd done anything but… case closed in my favour. I doubt you'll have any problems.

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Ahh I see.

    My only experience of claiming was with eBay. Because the moron took an up close photo of my door & the GPS 'proved' that it'd been delivered to my house, the case was closed against me.

    The item genuinely never arrived but it didn't matter because of GPS & photo.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • rollingmoon
    rollingmoon Posts: 320
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I can't explain that. A friend of mine had an item stolen in similar circumstances, and he also won his case. Our local Evri chap takes a picture with the item and open door in shot, and that's evidence of delivery, not a picture of a random door, or a sodden box on a step.

    You should have won that, but that's the 'joy' of eBay CS I guess; who you get to speak to is entirely down to the luck of the draw…

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.