We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Returned funds

Hi all

Last Saturday on the 18th I went on a day trip with my sister by train and I at our station there's no staff and we have a ticket machine and I paid for my tickets have proof of this however the machine didn't give me all my tickets and went weird anyway thankfully easy midlands sorted our travel so we didn't have to pay extra for more tickets and the amount was pending then last Thursday it was released back into my account and I thought oh they just haven't taken it yet but it's still there says later and it's been a whole week Saturday just gone since I paid and it was pending will they eventually take the funds or do you think because the machine didn't finish printing our tickets the payment didn't go through and there's been a glitch?

Comments

  • First of all it's miss not sir and I'm sorry my punctuation isn't up to your level I'm dyslexic.

    Never had this issue with them before they've always taken the funds out straight away

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,132 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 27 April at 10:27AM

    I paid for my tickets have proof 

    What proof? Your authorisation on your bank account is not proof. All that is showing that you tried to make a purchase, not that you actually did 🤷‍♀️

     last Thursday it was released back into my account and I thought oh they just haven't taken it yet but it's still there says later and it's been a whole week Saturday just gone since I paid and it was pending will they eventually take the funds

    If they have realased the authorisation then it can still not be there days later. It one or the other not both.

    1st off, a auth (pending) can stay there for upto 14 days. Or if processed as travel/tourism for upto 32 days. Before it drops off & the pending amount is released back to your avaiable balance.

    As above they have 6 months via card system to claim funds, after there is a possible chargeback. Legally they have 6 years (5 Scotland) to claim the funds.

    Life in the slow lane
  • By proof I meant the receipt that the machine gave me and It was pending on the 18th April until Thursday last week when it's no longer pending but the funds have been released back into my account and as of today the funds are still there in my account I thought maybe the pending hold expired and they just haven't took the money yet but it's never took this long before

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,132 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    OK so that would be proof.

    If auth (pending) is no longer there, & not debited. Then it could be the machine went offline & that it needs manual intervention to reboot & process the transactions.

    As said they have 6 months to process it. Nothing you can do to speed it up. Just keep enough funds to cover it, as it could come through at any point.

    Life in the slow lane
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.