We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Diaries of some garden!

Jemma01
Jemma01 Posts: 1,032
1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 26 April at 7:48AM in Gardening

New year new garden, eh! 🤥 Not sure how it got to this state despite the effort last year :/ .. I realise that the passage to the shed is very old and needs rework… a job for March.

I've been negotiating with self to get on with it since end of March, but... here to hold myself accountable.

Starting with the patio... my friend is visiting... <<< the real motivation 😁……

This is all work in progress, before and after

IMG20260425080828 before and after.jpg IMG20260425200534 before and after.jpg IMG20260425200528 before and after.jpg

behind the patio, one side is done, the other is another day

IMG20260425111924 before and after.jpg
  • - - - - - - - — -

This is the passage to the shed, it's crumbling between the bricks, I can't be bothered to keep sorting it out, weeds will grow back in two weeks 😖 I'll need a strong chemical… for now, I was bleaching as I was working on it.

IMG20260425120142 before and after.jpg
  • — - - - - — - -

This is the left side by the patio, lots of weed there

IMG20260425200549 before and after.jpg
  • - - - - — - - - —

This is the left side by the shed the shed

IMG20260425081059 before and after.jpg
  • - - - - - - - - - - -

This is the right side by the deck/shed…… I didn't touch the deck, a project for another day, I was meant to sort it out last year, but had problems elsewhere. Grass is chopped very roughly, I'm pleased my makita didn't give up halfway… I'll trim it again in a week.

IMG20260425200647 before and after.jpg
  • - - - - - - — - — -

This is the end result, I didn't get a chance to finish the right side… but the day ended, and I'm exhausted… won't have time tomorrow… I'll pick it up another day

IMG20260425080847-before and after final.jpg

Thanks

I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
«1

Comments

  • middlewife
    middlewife Posts: 310
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    That's a lot of work. Are you planning to grow anything alongside the boundary wall, or in the wooden troughs on top of the patio brick wall?

  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,032
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 26 April at 7:55AM

    Thanks 🥰.

    Not planning to grow anything along the wall, and still unsure what to do with the troughs. I need to paint them first, but would want hardy small plants that would survive cold and hot weather (low maintenance) like Sedum. I don't think Heuchera would survive the sunny weather nor the shallow troughs. Also not sure if they have drains 🤔

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 18,879
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Strawberries and blueberries ?

    Would need to be watered regularly, perhaps as often as once a day during the summer.

    Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
    Erik Aronesty, 2014

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 10,863
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Have a look at alpines in a garden centre. If you mulch in between the plants with fine gravel it will help keep the weeds down. Don’t worry when you see the pot labels in the garden centre - the flowers of alpines are never as big in real life! 😉

    KK

    As at 26.09.26:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
    - OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
    c. 17 months reduction in term
    Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030

    Read 72 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 10th October. 
    Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026

    Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
    Watch your words, they become your actions. 
    Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,032
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 April at 7:22AM

    I'm a bit lazy for maintenance to be honest 😅 would have thought these need a green house? To be fair my deck is unused, could turn it into one, the trees above it have lots of droppings and birds poo 🫩😒, though it won't get lots of sun because of the trees.

    Yes, alpines look nice. And def will look into wood chips and bark, like the colour and feel. (Ah not sure that would work either, if I mow the grass, they'll get stuck or move around with the wind. I'm considering resin gravel instead.) lWould need to treat the area first as I know some tiny roots remained.

    I'm wondering if I should have some weed control fabric there first (I def will, just need to study how I'll level the ground given that my neighbour's property is below mine and there's a bit of gap there 🤔).

    ETA 27/04

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,360
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Strawberries are easy. Yes they will need a jug of water when you're going into the garden but think of the rewards.

    Sitting out there and plucking a warm ripe strawberry 🍓

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,032
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Oh, my lovely garden is still looking pretty; it just suffered through the heat quite a bit.

    While I don't have fancy pics to share, I've done quite a bit of deweeding, and I'm very pleased with the progress I made.

    I know it looks like it went to hell and came back; it did. It's been way too hot; even the weeds are dying voluntarily.

    garden before and after.jpg

    I keep promising myself to do the deck 😩

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,032
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I've not been successful in convincing myself to plant fruit and veggies, quite odd for someone obsessed with her salads and frozen fruit water 🙈 I reckon I could save a fortune doing this

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 18,879
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I've not been successful in convincing myself to plant fruit and veggies, quite odd for someone obsessed with her salads and frozen fruit water 🙈 I reckon I could save a fortune doing this

    I've been planting stuff up in buckets (£1 each from B&M) - Pineberries and tomatoes. Also have carrots (Manpukuji) growing in an old 80l bin. Potatoes are romping away in an old fibreglass water tank - Couldn't be bothered to dig them out last year, so probably overcrowded in there now.

    Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
    Erik Aronesty, 2014

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,032
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.