We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Making tax digital - tax return not received?

Bigbobby
Bigbobby Posts: 73
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite

I am a landlord and I decided to voluntarily sign up to the MTD tax returns. The software provider I use is Clearbooks. Throughout 25-26 I kept all records and did my quarterly submissions and then submitted my final declaration (which also included my salary) using clearbooks at the end of the tax year earlier on this month.

I wanted to submit it early because I do not like the stress of last minute submission.

When I now log into my HMRC account it confirms my quarterly submissions but then it states that it has not received my tax return from all income sources. I am just wondering why it states they have not received my tax return even though I have done it? It is the first time I have done this, is it because maybe I am being a bit impatient and they are busy this time of year and it takes several weeks to process?

«1

Comments

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,265
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If MTD is anything like SA then every time your submit a return you get a submission receipt on the web page.

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,507
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 25 April at 3:18PM

    How can you submit the final declaration for a MTD tax return given the first quarterly update isn't even due until August?

    Or do you mean you were part of the pilot in 2025/26?

  • noitsnotme
    noitsnotme Posts: 1,653
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 25 April at 3:21PM

    I might be wrong but from my understanding you need to make 4 quarterly submissions and then still a tax return on top of those. So effectively 5 submissions in total. Did you do all of these (I think you did from what you said)?

    I don’t think all MTD providers can do all of them. No idea about Clearbooks.

  • Bigbobby
    Bigbobby Posts: 73
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I was voluntarily part of the pilot for MTD for 25-26. As mentioned I have done my 4 quarterly submissions throughout 25-26 using Clearbooks. I then also did a final declaration through Clearbooks so in total that is 5 submissions through Clearbooks.

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,743
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I am being told by my provider that they are waiting for HMRC to finalise how the end of year submission works. Maybe that is just their excuse but I can't see anywhere on their website for doing it.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    When I now log into my HMRC account it confirms my quarterly submissions but then it states that it has not received my tax return from all income sources. I am just wondering why it states they have not received my tax return even though I have done it?

    Wondering if there's any significance in the bolded wording, i.e. does the MTD software cover all income sources, so that the final declaration completely replaces all aspects of the self-assessment return?

  • Bigbobby
    Bigbobby Posts: 73
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Ah that is interesting to hear. I plan to give Clearbooks a call next week to clarify what is going on. It is early days for everyone for MTD. I am very much an early bird for submitting using MTD!

    Currently my rental income does not meet that required criteria that you must do MTD. I just thought I would do it voluntarily to get some practice at doing it. In the near future I am looking at expanding my rental portfolio and my rental income will therefore increase so at that stage it will be compulsory for me to use MTD.

  • Bigbobby
    Bigbobby Posts: 73
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Correct. The final declaration replaces all aspects of the tax return. You have to declare other sources of income such as employment, savings and investments etc.

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,743
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    You didn't by any chance do a self assessment tax return did you? I am hoping the end of year submission under MTD will work the same way as the old self assessment tax return but I bet they don't.

  • Bigbobby
    Bigbobby Posts: 73
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 April at 4:35PM

    No I have not done a self-assessment tax return. I have just done the MTD which is meant to replace it.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.