We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Naive thinking HMRC will reply in writing?
Hello,
I posted a letter to HMRC (BX9 1AS) over a week ago and paid for tracking. It's still saying it hasn't been delivered. If it ever does get delivered am I naive thinking they will reply in writing because I've written to them or is that not the case?
Comments
-
It's a waste of time paying for tracking, as it won't be marked as delivered.
As to whether they'll reply at all, or if so in writing, will depend on the nature of the enquiry, but don't hold your breath for any sort of response!
2 -
When I've had to post stuff to HMRC before it showed as received in my Personal Tax Account
0 -
Thanks for that, I didn't think about checking there.
0 -
I wrote to them over a year ago with two specific queries. After a few weeks the communication did appear as received in my Gateway HMRC account. I finally received a response approximately 4/5 months later answering one of my queries but not the other. Meanwhile, the Gateway account was updated to state request completed.
I therefore sent a follow up letter to state that they had not answered my second query. This also eventually showed up on my Gateway account but was subsequently closed with no response.
I then did a follow up phone call & was advised that my request was accidentally closed & would be forwarded to the relevant team. Subsequently, the request on my account was showing as reopened. Unfortunately I have had no response & it is now showing as closed again.
As I mentioned this started over a year ago. I am now considering addressing a third request, or fourth if you include the telephone call, to their complaints section.
In their defence I expect that with all the changes they are fairly overwhelmed.
0 -
Hello, we explain how you can track the progress of your correspondence (and chase if necessary) here: https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-nic/getting-help-tax/contacting-hmrc-service-levels-and-chasing-progress. Hope this is useful. Thanks
“Official Company Representative
I am an official representative of LITRG (Low Incomes Tax Reform Group) part of the Chartered Institute of Taxation who are an educational charity. We are not part of MSE or HMRC. MSE has given permission for me to post on the Forum but this does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation or its products by MSE. We can’t give individual advice, but if you require further help, we recommend that you contact a tax adviser, HMRC or one of the tax charities where relevant. You can find more information about where to get help with tax here. If you believe I am posting inappropriately please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"2 -
Hi, you've accidentally got the full stop in your link so it goes to a "Page not found".
For anyone wanting the correct link it's: https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-nic/getting-help-tax/contacting-hmrc-service-levels-and-chasing-progress
3 -
Since tracking shows it hasn't been delivered yet, I'd give Royal Mail a ring about that first - sometimes their tracking system plays up or parcels get stuck in the system. Once it does arrive, HMRC usually respond within 15 working days by post if you've written to them, though they might call instead if it's something they can sort quickly over the phone.
0 -
15 days!!. 15 weeks would be closer.
2 -
When did you last write to HMRC and get a reply in 15 days?
1 -
Mine is closer to 15 months & it isn't that complicated. However, I put that down to customer service in the public sector being decimated by previous governments in the last 20/30 years.
I'm due my pension next week but have had no response yet from Capita, although I applied in November 25. On the plus side, the sun is out.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
