We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Price cap confusion

vikkimcd
vikkimcd Posts: 100
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite

Hi. Apologies for sounding ignorant, but I am a bit confused as to whether I need to switch or not. I am with Octopus currently, and they have been fine. My current tariff runs out in May, and i have been offered a choice of fixed or flexible rate by them. The flexible is currently coming in at slightly under the price I pay now, with the fixed as about £20/month more. I am unsure whether I should switch now or wait until May, or whether to just stay as I am on a flexible rate. I understand that the flexible will be subject to change, but not sure if should wait until May to change, or go with another supplier. I have been with British Gas and EDF before and they were absolutely appalling. As you can see, I don't fully understand what the best thing to do is…

Comments

  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 4,916
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    if your ondeal to May, is that really flexible - or fixed but will default to flexible.

    the current flexible is quite low and expected by many to rise 10-15% plus in July. Mse uses 13.5% from an aver of estinates below

    the current mse page on fix deals and advice is here

    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/are-there-any-cheap-fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it/

    The list of deals is short - just 3 - and was updated Fri 16th.

    theres several other rece t posts with same basic question. Fix now, wait etc ?

  • vikkimcd
    vikkimcd Posts: 100
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I am on a fixed tariff, they have recommended I go to a fixed 12 month tariff. It is about £20 more than I am paying now, so I guess that would be a good thing to do if the prices are guaranteed to be going up?

  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,390
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It's not literally guaranteed to rise, but that is the expectation. It doesn't get set/published until late May.

  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 26,373
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    It seems very unlikely that prices will not increase in July now, I would have thought.

    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00 Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    Balance as at 31/08/24 = £105,400.00 Balance as at 31/12/24 = £102,500.00
    £100k barrier broken 1/4/25
    Balance as at 31/08/25 = £ 95,450.00. Balance as at 31/12/25 = £ 91,100.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • vikkimcd
    vikkimcd Posts: 100
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Do you think staying on a flexible tariff would be too risky?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.