We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.O/S Daily Monday April 20 2026
Comments
-
Morning folks and greetings from my happy place in Nidderdale. A brief one as sausage fingers and posting on mobiles is not a good combination!
Not a bad week promised though today I got up to a thick frost and it's feeling nippy. I resorted to popping the heating on for a bit to take the chill off. Gas and electricity supply to the statics is very costly so we try to be as economical as we can but sometimes needs must! My old bones don't cope well when it's cold.
Have a good day if you can but there sounds to be quite a few problems and worries on here just now. Take care all be safe x
"If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"12 -
Morning everyone
Thanks for the welcome backs and concerns about my migraine, today I just have the fuzziness and normal headache I usually have after a migraine, I've taken paracetamol as I'm back at work at lunchtime. I've been off for 7 weeks, including the Easter holidays, so I need to make the effort! Not sure what's happening as our manager resigned while I was off ill.
Scarlet I second Izzy's recommendation for fish and chips in Alnwick and add one of my own…The Strawberry Lounge, I had a lovely lunch there one day last summer, they do a lovely soup and sandwich offer and the cakes are delicious, also do afternoon tea. Look it up on Tripadvisor , it's only a few minutes walk from the market square.
My mam and dad are both from Alnwick, so I was there most Saturdays when I was a little girl. The cherry blossom should be out at Alnwick Gardens, it's beautiful to see, and should be quieter now the schools are back.
Wickedlady , the view coming down the coast on the train is beautiful isn't it, I always watch it go past and I've seen it so many times.
TA enjoy your time in the caravan, everyone else have a good day whatever you're doing. I have a huge pile of holiday ironing to do before work and will pop over to my friend for a cuppa when I get back. x
11 -
Morning all, thanks for today's start @Scarlet. Have a good break in Alnwick this week.
Yesterday evening we were treated to an impressive golden sunset and clouds tinged with pink, followed by a chilly night. This morning is bright and dry but the afternoon could be a mix of sunshine and showers. As noted by Ruby, it's not yet the BBQ weather we had last year!
I did manage one thing off the To Do list yesterday (empty the airing cupboard to dust shelves and evict the winter cobwebs) but sunk back into Sunday Sloth after that, though that did mean I could finish reading another book to be returned sometime this week. It was by a new-to-me author, Marion Todd, who the book blurb describes as being "a master of the Tartan noir genre" and entitled A Blind Eye. Back to normal today and I shall endeavour to be a bit more industrious. 😁 Chicken & garlic kyiv for dinner with leftovers sides of potatoes and sprouts (a la bubble & squeak style) and sweetcorn.
@Gers - Not too long to go now before you're off to Toronto - you'll have a full itinerary!
@Ruby - I hope your mum's appointment today goes well, also that your appointment tomorrow isn't cancelled again.
@AA and @Suffolksue - Sounds like you both could do with a hug or two, pop in as and when you feel up to it.
@remmie - My late DH could always be found browsing DIY stuff and it didn't matter if it was in a store, on a second hand stall, in a CS or wherever! 🙄
@dp1 - Glad to hear you're feeling a little bit better this morning and I hope your return to work doesn't bring any nasty surprises.
The WM is beeping to let me know the first load has finished so I'll get off but not before wishing everyone a good day. Take care. X
Be kind to others and to yourself too.11 -
@ScarletRibbons and @dp1 - I'm helping a friend with her family history - in the Alnwick and Newcastle area. I've been reading the Horton, Cowpens, and Earsdon records page by page to make sure nothing has been overlooked. The family we are currently working on seems to go back and forth from Newcastle to Gateshead. It is fun for me to think back over the trips I've made through there thirty to forty years ago.
5
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
