We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Change of address when between homes for months or years?

Hi, I have sold my house, and I have a temporary address (friends). However, changing my address has got complicated.

DVLA - they say you don't need to if you are temporarily away eg Uni, but not about being between homes. If I change DVLA, then I will need to change vehicle insurance - and vice versa.

I am currently running 2 temporary vehicles, too, so changing DVLA, and 2 insurance policies could get expensive, plus do they accept C/O addresses? (I'll be sofa surfing and then living in a camper, which one insurance company said will add several 100s to my insurane)

When I come to buy the new house, my driving license, passport etc need to line up with each other for identity checks with the estate agent - and may be solicitor. Also I am mindful that changing address too often can affect credit reference (fortunately I don't need a mortgage).

I have changed my bank address to the C/O address, and gone paperless. It seems simple with my phone, too.

So it is the vehicles' insurance that is tricky and my driving license.

I know some people say not to bother, but then it can be a problem if you have an accident. And I tried temporary insurance previously, and got a letter from DVLA saying that vehicles needs to have a permanent insurance policy.

I wonder if anyone has been between homes with no purchase in sight?

thanks

Comments

  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,262
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite

    I would be very careful with your vehicle insurance - you are supposed to inform them immediately about an address change as it could affect your premium. Not doing so gives them the opportunity to refuse any claims.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,663
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    A significant part of a car insurers risk assessment and therefore the premium, is where you live.

    So if you are insured at one address and living at another, and then you make a claim, you will have problems.

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,974
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Car/licence only need to be at an address where you can be contacted, so not necessarily where you're sleeping.

    Insurers will expect you to tell them where you're actually living (so the address of your friend's sofa if that's where you are staying). As you've discovered, that becomes difficult if your abode is a moving one.

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,795
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Given that you have sold your previous property, you need to change your address for official purposes to something that will actually reach you so you don't risk official contact, for example parking charge notices, going astray.

    You can't rely on the new occupiers forwarding any correspondence.

  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 856
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You just gave to give everyone the address you are staying at, temporary or otherwise

    My daughter got fined when police asked to see her licence one time, and she hadn’t updated it

    They said it was illegal not to do so 🤷‍♀️

  • ecosarah
    ecosarah Posts: 5
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thanks everyone for your comments, experience and wisdom - I appreciate you taking the time.

    I am not clear what you are suggesting for someone on the road, who is moving around?

    At least one of you has said that the License desn't need to be where you are living. This sounds confusing because:
    1. it is used to open bank accounts etc (which I need to do)

    2. Why did the police fine someone's daughter when she hadn't updated it?

    I think my situation is different to most people's because most people would rent a place until they purchase their new house….I would love to hear any info that is a definite for someone in my situation - or how to find out!

    thanks again for your answers.

  • Tabieth
    Tabieth Posts: 571
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I appreciate you say you are on the road and moving around. But your car insurance has to have the address where you are currently living. Otherwise you could be in a world of trouble if you make a claim. If you’re staying with friends then given them that address, even if you have to change it every few weeks. If you’re staying in a hotel / Airbnb then I’d call your insurance company and explain the situation. They can decide how to record that.

    And other ID, while less time urgent, shouldn’t be left too long. At the very least you’ll need to think about your Mail otherwise you risk crucial correspondence being sent to your old address.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.