We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Something up with Suttons?

Sapindus
Sapindus Posts: 831
Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 17 April at 3:27PM in Gardening

I ordered a Ribes odoratum from Suttons. They sent me a Buxus sempervirens, labelled Ribes odoratum. I rang up to complain and they apologised and said they would send a replacement. They sent another Buxus sempervirens, also labelled Ribes odoratum. I've complained by email and got an autoreply saying they're having a higher than usual volume of emails (I'm not surprised). So I phoned. The Ribes is now out of stock but they've offered to send a potted one around the middle of May. I wonder if I should have just asked for a refund…

Comments

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,471
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite

    Although still based in Paignton, Suttons were bought by Thompson & Morgan (part of the BVG Group) in 2020. Their stock is likely to come from a (possibly large) number of nurseries supplying T&M. I doubt if those are in quite the same league as, say, Hilliers. One I visited about 10 years ago, was just half a dozen polytunnels, a shed and a mobile home.

    T&M are famous for cheap, bargain bucket offers, but as you've found, they do respond to complaints and good, or bad, reviews.

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 831
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    What really rang alarm bells was when I rang and got put through to a voicemail that said it was full. But on the second try I did get through. It just beggars belief that in the week or two between the first wrong plant and the second no-one had gone and checked the stock or noticed that the plants were wrongly labelled, and they were such completely different plants too.

    The reason I ordered the plant was that I found one growing in the village and had never seen it before and it really is a lovely thing. I can sneak a couple of cuttings but it's in the front of a derelict building that's up for sale so its days may be numbered!

  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,850
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I've bought quite a few plants from Sutton's, and they've been great - perhaps you've been unlucky with a wrongly labelled batch of seedlings? The potted plants should be ok - but if you are going for your own cuttings, I would do it now as they should be taken when the plant is still winter dormant.

    Or you could hedge (sorry!) your bets and take a couple of cuttings while waiting for the potted plant.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.