We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Sky TV
I have had sky TV for over 20 years, with no contract now but £40 direct debit going out of my account every month. I moved 3 years ago and have not had sky at my new address. The account is in my ex husbands name and my old address. Sky will not let me cancel the account unless I get him to ring. I stopped the direct debit, they have now sent an email saying my account is overdue by £50.15 and that if I don't pay they will refer to debt collecting agency. I am concerned if I pay it this time they will just keep charging me every month. I have rung them and they won't do anything unless my ex husband rings. I do not know where he is. I know the account number, the password and the account that the direct debit was coming from. I do not want this to affect my credit and feel that Sky are being unreasonable.
Any ideas
Comments
-
If the account is in your ex's name (why is your e-mail linked to the account) then ignore. Who do they address in the e-mail, you or ex?
0 -
Maybe someone with a Sky account can confirm, what information are Sky likely to need to prove that it's Picklegirl's ex on the phone and not someone pretending…….
0 -
Why on earth have you been paying a bill for 3 years at a property where you no longer reside, using your email address on the account and your bank to do so?
As you say you cannot get in touch with your ex then I presume he moved too.
If they don't have your current home address then all Sky can do is try to trace the account holder, not the bill payer.
It is not Sky that is being unreasonable, they will only deal with the account holder, that is the way all companies operate except in the case of bereavement.
@flaneurs_lobster unless they were a same sex couple then it will be obvious that they need to speak to someone of the opposite sex I guess.
I am with Sky and for cancellation it must be the account holder that cancels.0 -
@flaneurs _lobster unless they were a same sex couple then it will be obvious that they need to speak to someone of the opposite sex I guess.
I was more meaning things like passwords, first pet, mobile phone number, DoB - sort of things that Sky might ask to make sure it's OP's ex phoning to cancel and not just (say) the bloke who lives next door.
0 -
@flaneurs_lobster Sky security usually links the registered phone number, then asks for the memorable word (not the account password) and whether you are the account holder to get through the automatic part of the system.
Once connected to an operator, you may get any combination of the above asked again along with address and possibly digits from the bank account used to pay.
Even if the OP has all this cancelling an account not in their name is a dubious move.0 -
Even if the OP has all this cancelling an account not in their name is a dubious move.
Don't doubt it, but what alternative would you suggest? Continue to pay for the service ad infinitum?
Who do you suggest would take action if the deception were discovered? Not like you are cancelling someone's insulin supply.
0 -
The person named on the contract is who Sky will chase, not the person who is paying the bill, the OP should just say they do not know where the account holder resides and let them pursue them.
The OP still hasn't told us why they have been paying for a service at a property they and apparently any family vacated 3 years ago.It all sounds a little odd to say the least.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
