We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PCN issued from NPM on private road.

JoeN1988
JoeN1988 Posts: 135 Forumite
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Evening all, I've received a PCN from NPM for parking on a private road.

Attached is the redacted NTK.

I thought I'd ask for your opinions before I appeal. (Last time I did my best before involving you guys which made it harder - Still won in court though).

Assuming the NTK is POFA compliant, am I correct in thinking that I'm still allowed a 5 minute grace period to consider the terms? Double yellows shouldn't carry any weight on private land surely?

Put simply, I loathe these companies, but I would really rather avoid another protracted civil claim against me.

20260413_210819 (1).jpg

Comments

  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,875 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    DYLs normally allow for the loading and unloading of goods and/or passengers

    From the Plain Language Commission:

    "The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • JoeN1988
    JoeN1988 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thank you. The driver was also there for a period of less than 5 minutes.

    I assume a "consideration period" applies under contract law even on strict "no parking" private roads?

    I think trying to use both the loading argument alongside the consideration period might conflict each other (the driver was either doing one or the other).

    I know they're IPC and appeal is probably a waste of time, but if I were to try, which one would be the better approach?

  • JoeN1988
    JoeN1988 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April at 8:32PM

    I think it would also be worth lodging a formal complaint with IPC about NPM's predatory conduct and knowingly skirting the law for profit, copying it in to my local MP.

    I'll have to go back and check but I believe the photos are from a CCTV camera with no signage on entry of being recorded, also breaching GDPR 2018.

  • JoeN1988
    JoeN1988 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Hi all,

    I'm at LBC stage with this rubbish again. (Gladstones).

    I know all the advice is generally to defend in court at this point. I've got a strong case since I was unloading for a period of under 5 minutes on double yellows on a private road (so not legally enforceable).

    My issue is financial. The last time i defended a claim (thanks again for the counsel) it cost me far more in time and lost work than the amount claimed.

    I'm in the same situation again, and I can't stand these vultures, but financially speaking I would be better off just paying.

    At this point I doubt a well informed letter would make anyone back off. I could offer the original sum in good faith to close the matter?

    Your thoughts?

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,683 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 September at 8:35PM

    Just catching up on last week's posts.

    No, what's the point of offering to pay the PCN? Gladstones won't accept it but they'll mark you down as a possible panicker/payer.

    Gladstones are currently dropping the ball on court claims and often not submitting evidence. They seem disorganised and/or short staffed.

    You could always counterclaim for £300 for significant distress and hours of time lost due to a clearly unjustified PCN, illegal covert surveillance and data abuse.

    At least that makes the case worth your while if it goes to a hearing and you win.

    There was no reasonable cause to get DVLA data if you were merely unloading because that isn't parking and it is expressly allowed 'exempt activity' on real double yellow lines.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.