We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lloyds credit card is unusable due to overzealous security algorithm

12357

Comments

  • Exactly this. I've been a Lloyds customer for decades. As soon as I got my new Visa from Lloyds it was blocked before I could even use it despite following all the set up advice. Then when I did get it up and working again, and spent ages transferring all my CC payments across to the new card, within a week of phoning them to get it unblocked, it's blocked again! Just spend an hour on the phone to Lloyds who basically tried to tell me it was my problem. They wanted me to carry my credit card around in my pocket (which makes me feel a lot less secure than using my phone with the fingerprint security etc.), plus, sometimes I don't have pockets, and they wanted me to change my name on my google account (which hasn't changed in 13 years since I've been married) and suggested I type in my CC number everytime I made a purchase online, again, as someone who is dyslexic and struggles with processing/transferring numbers is a complete ****ache.

    As another commenter said here, its embarrassing, but not only that, when you already have too many things to juggle (sandwich generations with work and caring obligations and neurospicy kids), phoning lloyds just to make usual purchases is not ok!

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,465 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    they wanted me to change my name on my google account 

    That's a new one, anyone care to conjecture how someone's Google ID can give rise to more frequent CC blocks?

    Are you dodgy.bank.fraudster@gmail.com?

  • 😂

    I use a shortened version of my name, have done since birth but because my full name is on my birth certificate, my CC has to have full name on. ALL my other accounts, subscriptions, email, usernames, and 10's of other accounts etc are the shortened version and have always been. They won't let me change the name on my credit card to match the multiple accounts so they want me to change my email/googlewallet/paypal/onlineshopping/subscriptions, etc to my given name - which I really don't like hence I don't use it. But they weren't able to pinpoint the problem causing the blocking anyway and said it may not be to do with that.

    The only thing that has changed has been the switch they made form mastercard to visa. I haven't changed anything else. They maintained it was my problem, tried to offer me £30 to shut up and not complain but I can't keep having my payments blocked and after spending several hours on this already. It's coincided with a busy time with important orders due for family birthdays etc.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,465 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    That "name on the credit card" story sounds like utter tosh. Ridiculous idea asking you to change your email address to match the name on the card.

    Rather suspect that the call handlers/CS reps have no more idea of the inner workings of the security algorithms causing the blocks than you or I can guess at.

  • shaunm1985
    shaunm1985 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Tenth Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

    Had similar issues on a recent China trip using Lloyds and Halifax credit cards. They were blocked by the fraud team numerous times during my stay. Sometimes the transaction was approved without SMS, sometimes the SMS would arrive within a couple of minutes and other times it never arrived and the transaction was declined. Even got stuck in a tube station as my card refused to let me tap out, and had to seek help from the station controller as there was no phone signal to call Lloyds. The best bit is that when they block the card - they dont bother to tell you - relying on you calling them after another failed transaction. The experience was stressful to say the least - complaint lodged with The Financial Ombudsman now.

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 766 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 July at 9:48AM

    Not Lloyds credit card but the same with current accounts - tried to send money to a new savings account with another institution only to have it blocked

    Had to visit the branch with ID to get payment unblocked only to have it blocked again

    This happened on several occasions over the years to the extent that I stopped using them - moved to Nationwide and never had any problem

    As an aside, one time when I went into the branch with ID there was quite a big delay when they called the Fraud Department to release the funds. I asked why the delay they said the fraud department were now asking that the branch prove they were really the branch and not someone calling pretending to be the branch...

  • Would you beleive it I've been blocked again! That's 8 days after I was blocked before. I tried to buy some plants as teacher presents in my lunch hour for £24 and it was refused and now my credit card is blocked. I'm now waiting in a 20 minute queue to talk to someone to unblock it. I haven't purchased from this particular online shop before and they are suggesting this is why it was blocked. I like to purchase from small independent retailers when I can and so does that mean everything I purchase from somewhere new will be blocked? This is utter madness. Lloyds is who I bank with. I work part-time and term time only and so I don't have the biggest income but always pay off my card. Getting a new card with someone else will be difficult!

  • This is interesting. It's been really good to hear of everyone elses issues. I'm going to keep going through the Lloyds complaints process as this is just insane, and maybe do what @mta99 did and switch to Nationwide. I try to use my credit card for online purchases as then you are insured and it is more secure. Lloyds have basically made their service unusable.

  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,950 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Some banks are better at this stuff than others.

    Modern online banks like Monza and Revolut, will either approve or prompt you in the app, they dont just randomly block cards or need you to phone them, and thats medieval.
    My lloyds debit card pretty much always gets approved, so if I am buying something important its the debit card e.g. food shopping, nothing worse than a supermarket refusing to take payment on order, then contacting you on the day to tell you they wont be delivering.
    I find its better to use credit cards via google or amazon pay, as those payment processors very rarely get declined, but I suspect it affects S75 protection. Sadly also many retailers dont accept google or amazon pay, only some do.

  • Maegi
    Maegi Posts: 270 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Your fairy story did give me a good chuckle 🙂

    Neo banks (particularly Revolut) are well known for simply removing app access / freezing cards on whim plus are mostly debit transactions so you're spending your money and not theirs.

    Ancient multichannel banks (like Halifax) will either approve or prompt you in the app, they don't just randomly block cards.

    Google Pay doesn't affect S75 as it's just a virtual card; Amazon Pay doesn't work with 3rd party sites anymore.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.