We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Purchase Cards

HillStreetBlues
HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,117 Forumite
1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
edited 11 April at 12:02PM in Credit cards

I have two new credit cards for purchases, an M&S (about 12m) plus Lloyds (about 22m). I am just about to max them both out.
Would I be right in thinking once I make the min payment for each of those cards I can then spend again on them to the limit and basically keep them maxed out till the interest free period ends?
I have only used BT cards before, out of abundance of caution thought I would check.

Let's Be Careful Out There

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,127 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Best to check how long the actual purchase period is, as while they maybe interest free for the quoted period. Some limit the actual period you can purchase in to get 0%.

    Life in the slow lane
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,516 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 April at 11:48AM

    If they are full period interest free on purchases then yes. That is what I am doing with my Lloyds 23m purchase card. I have got it up to £25 below the limit so pay around £100 min payment each month then spend £100. Rinse and repeat. Had it for 6 months now so hoping for a limit increase soon.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 11 April at 12:01PM

    I think MBNA card might do that (i have one but it is used as a BT) checked and seems the cards I have will be fine.

    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    Think it's the same type of Lloyds card. My limit is £3k will be about £75 payments.
    I'm not expecting any more increases anytime soon as have just over £43k limit across all cards and by May debt on those cards will be about £20k and I'm on UC & PIP

    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Yes for both.

    MBNA is the only one I ever see with a shorter spend period.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.