We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Query - air and light - leasehold
Hi all
I am in the process of buying a leasehold flat and haven't had a survey done - it is 12 years old and I decided it might not be necessary - is this advisable?
My vendors are pushing for early exchange and completion as they lost their previous buyer, and mine has taken a while (price agreed November last year) because my final mortgage approval took a couple of months and I had to change brokers to get it approved (cladding on block but finally NatWest have offered 80% LTV).
I have just received a copy of the lease and am a bit concerned by a phrase: 'That the Tenant shall not be entitled to any right of access of light or air to the Demised Premises (except those expressly hereby granted) which would restrict or interfere with the free use of the Estate or any other adjoining or neighbouring land of the Landlord for building or any other purpose whatsover'.
It concerns me slightly as there is a small space in front of the block, which used to have parking but I was told was going to become a communal garden/greenspace. It occured to me that the developer (Crest Nicholson) might build there - worse case scenario. It is a ground floor flat with single aspect large windows - would be awful if that light was blocked. Not sure I'm just being over cautious but I know these things can happen. Any advice please? It may just be a standard phrase for leases and nothing to worry about. But it has made me question leasehold altogether again - my budget doesn't really stretch to a freehold house but might in a year or so.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards