We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Letting Agency not giving bond back
Hi all,
I rented a property through a well known chain and paid £1000 bond. This was placed in the Tenancy Deposit Scheme
After a year I have moved to another property and on agreement there was £250 deductions for cleaning the property.
The letting agency promised it would be done and this went on up until a few weeks ago when they said they have issued the refund but I'm still yet to recieve the £850 owed. I called again tofay and they have said there is nothing they can do as they are saying they have sent it.
Where do I stand as I understand that refund should have been released 14 days after moving out. I'm now at 2 months! Where do I go from here ?
Comments
-
How did they say they had "issued" it?
As far as I remember its the TDS who do the refunds, not the letting agents. This may have changed since I last rented in 2010, admittidly.
0 -
TDS do two different schemes. Was your money actually deposited with them? If so, you need to claim the deposit from the TDS. It sounds like the agent has claimed £250 and released the balance, but you still need to claim that amount.
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?1 -
It's £750 you're owed, not £850 (£1000 bond minus £250 deduction).
3 -
Via bacs, they asked if we agreed the deductions then also asked for our bank details via email on 16th March still nothing
0 -
You threaten to sue them
0 -
I suggest you contact TDS. It is their job to safeguard your deposit.
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?4 -
Your contract is/was with landlord, not agent (unless agent named as landlord, does happen). Did you read tenancy agreement?
Contact TDS and go through dispute process, If problem contact landlord.
0 -
II've Raised a dispute with tds hopefully they sort it
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
