We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Where do I stand? One call ins.

gazb_2
gazb_2 Posts: 62 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

I’ve just taken out a policy with one call van insurance. I set the date of the policy as today as I need to used the van. In 20 years of driving that usually means I can go and drive straight away


one call have sent an email saying I’m not insured until I have the certificate of motor insurance in my email and it can take 5-7 working days to receive it! The email confirms that they’ve taken my money already.

Since taking out the policy I’ve seen how bad of a company they are to deal with and that they’re going to charge me £60 cancellation fee if I leave within the 14 day period.


can I drive the van now? What can I do to be able to drive now? Can I take another policy out with another firm? I’m stumped


thanks

«1

Comments

  • MACKEM99
    MACKEM99 Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 4 April at 7:12PM

    Just seen an advert tempcover.com get on road in 10 mins.!

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Mackenzie has given the solution that ensures you are covered and have peace of mind.

    Other temporary insurance providers are available.

  • gazb_2
    gazb_2 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    at £55 per day for potentially 7 days, it’s going to cost more than the original policy.


    is this normal for insurers to do this? Why would it let me pick a day and then not insure me. Would it not be better to give me options when I pick a day starting 7 days away. I could’ve the not bought this policy and picked another that insured me instantly

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I'd imagine the 7 days is to allow the insurer to validate your policy. It probably usually takes less than 7 days, though a 4-day Bank Holiday weekend will be the time that takes about as long as it can.

    The majority of people probably obtain insurance ahead of the policy start date

  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 9,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Why take a temporary policy?

    The OP can take a normal year's policy elsewhere, then cancel One Call.

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I thought the OP only needed to use the van for one day before the policy would be confirmed.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,495 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Op does state this

    one call have sent an email saying I’m not insured until I have the certificate of motor insurance in my email and it can take 5-7 working days to receive it! The email confirms that they’ve taken my money already.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 9,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    But he also said "Since taking out the policy I’ve seen how bad of a company they are to deal with"

  • oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I did insure my Classic with Onecall a couple of years ago. I was aware of their poor reviews beforehand too.

    From what I remember the Certificate of Insurance was available to view and download, in my Onecall Portal, almost immediately after applying and paying for the policy. It was most definitely not e-mailed to me.

    Unless thay have changed the process?

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Yes, I saw the "up to 7 days" but also I read, when the OP said "I need to use my van" that they meant need to use it once, not every day. I realise that understanding had a lot of embedded assumptions on my part.

    I guess the real lesson is not to leave it to last minute to obtain insurance, especially when that is a 4-day Bank Holiday weekend.

    One has to accept that the cheapest insurance might well not have the best customer service.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.