We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Weeds and Moss in lawn

MouldyOldDough
MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,401
1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite

We have way too many weeds and moss in our lawn - with ropey grass

The wife bought a large box of grass "improver" granules and plans to cover the lawn with it today - I had said 3 in one (ie Moss killer / fertiliser and weed killer) but she is adamant that the grass will be killed off by the weedkiller and we need to feed the grass first !


If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.

Comments

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,897
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    edited 2 April at 1:47PM

    Sorry, what's the question?

    From what you've said, I think I agree with you, I'm not sure why she thinks putting 'grass improver granules' (fertilizer?) will kill the weeds, unless she's saying to put fertilizer down first (which will likely bolster the weeds) and then weed killer after?

    She could be confusing the general advice that fertilizing a lawn can help boost healthy grass, which naturally chokes out weed - but missing the point that if the weeds are already established then it's too late. The idea is to have a densely packed garden of healthy grass, so the seeds of weeds don't have anywhere to take root and grow.

    Best thing imo to do would be to apply a weed & moss killer and then 6 weeks after, re-seed any gaps/sparse areas.

    Know what you don't
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,908
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You are correct, but my advice for a Happy Easter is just grin & bear it, and try to suppress the "I told you so" in a few weeks time, when you can apply the real broad leaved lawn weedkiller, which you will have to buy yourself as obviously Mrs MoD cannot be let loose in B & Q etc on her own 😁

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,114
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    Forumite

    So what has she actually bought? Just an N -P-K fertiliser? Sounds like she may have paid over the odds if it's labelled 'grass improver' rather than good old Growmore. But it won't do any harm. It's what I do now and then spot weed any big ones. I don't mind a few flowers coming up in a lawn. I think the 3 in one stuff is overpriced and overrated.

  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,549
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I prefer to rake out any moss , as the moss killers turn it black which looks awful ,and you still have to rake it out once its dead.

  • Crag30
    Crag30 Posts: 290
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It's not cheap, but I use Mo Bacter for moss. No raking needed

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.