We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car Insurance Renewal

Hi,

When looking for renewal quotes does Windscreen Replacement count as a claim?

«1

Comments

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,271
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Probably depends on the wording but I do know that I’ve been asked about it before now and had to add it as a claim.

    Generally speaking, because it is.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • That is what I thought. On reflection it might not have been worth making a claim for replacement? Could cost me more with increased insurance over the next 5

    years than cost to replace the screen :-(

  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,549
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I asked my insurance company ( Direct Line ) about this some time ago, I dont know if the rules are still the same. I was told to declare it but that it didnt affect the policy. My premiums did not increase and I felt happier knowing that I had informed them.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,884
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Yes. Even stone chip repairs are.

    Could cost me more with increased insurance over the next 5

    it won't. Glass claims don't cause a pricing increase.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,997
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Is that true for all insurers?

    First Direct premium was £445.47, new quote is £800.37 :-( Nothing else has changed

    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,884
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,997
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 3 April at 12:06AM

    Correction = First Alternative

    image.png
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,884
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    The only way to know for sure is to get a comparison quote and see how those compare. It may be that first Alternative are penalising you for a glass claim but it could also be that you are no longer in their target market and their pricing is no longer aimed at you.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,997
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Obviously I will not be using First Alternative, but I believe they are owned by Esure? Interestingly Esure offered a significantly lower quote. I have chosen to renew with Admiral. Better T&Cs for £602.26.

    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,283
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 April at 2:12PM

    Note that the Admiral Ts&Cs include recovering their costs if the driver is under the influence. I would be wary unless all drivers are teetotal.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.