We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Keep our dogs off our garden
Hi all,
I am going to be reseeding each half of our garden at different times in the next month or so but I wanted to keep our 2 large dogs off the half that I reseed.
We have pallets stored in our garden due to having a wood burner and was thinking of using them in some way but wanted suggestions on possibly using them or some other way that people might think of or have actually used
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Kind regards mark
Comments
-
If you are burning wood from pallets in your wood burner that's not recommended. Pallets are constructed from softwood which can leave heavy deposits in the chimney.
Any kind of fence will keep the dogs out provided its high enough. Pallets are usually around 3 feet....would that be high enough or would the dogs be able to jump over it ?
0 -
If you have your chimney swept yearly, as recommended, it will most likely be OK burning softwood. The Scandinavians have been doing that for a long time, especially in the autumn and spring, reserving harder woods for winter. In this country, many also burn softwood to get the fire started. The main thing when burning any sort of wood is to ensure it's well seasoned.
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
1 -
We are well experienced wood burning users so dont need any advice with that.
0 -
What's the best way of keeping them upright if they potentially could fall over?
0 -
Prop them up with something - do you have any pallets available?
1 -
Remember if the dogs are kept off the pigeons are on.
What about stakes and wire in a line or three? Or wire netting? To coral the grass.
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
1 -
If the garden is prone to damp it will never survive large dogs a reseeded lawn takes time to mature.
I had a reasonable lawn until two large dogs arrived never mind a newly seeded lawn it didn't last long
Have yet to decide what surface is best it won't be newly seeded grass or turf
0 -
You aren't the only people reading this thread, though.
I can make pallets stand vertical with fencing stakes driven through the middle, but I already have the stakes and a post maul, being on a smallholding. It wouldn't be economic to buy those specifically. You might be able to prop your pallets using roofing battens screwed to them at around 45 degrees.
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
1 -
Beach windbreaks make good temporary barriers, some of us still have them tucked at the back of the garage or in the loft. Pallets stand up if you drive a couple of stakes down through the middle.
You may have to consider neighbours cats!!! We have a cat and I've collected freezer baskets and old dishwasher trays to cover the raised beds and work well for patches of new grass.
We seeded a section last year, it grew well initially then vanished. I eventually found the culprits, after I realised it was still growing just cropped to the earth. We have visiting partridges and ring neck doves who evidently thought the nice humans had planted those nice fresh shoots especially for them. I'm going to give it a go with turf this year..
1 -
I dont think any lawn survives a large dog running round in circuits at speed. You dont need a lawn scarifier though 😲.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


