We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Renewal tenancy and Renters Rights Act
Hello
I normally offer my existing tenants a fixed term 12 month renewal AST if they decide to stay.
My current tenants are on a fixed term renewal AST of 12 months which is due to end on 10th May 2026. I understand on 1st May 2026 the Renters Right Act comes into effect which means the tenancy will automatically become periodic.
I intend to continue the tenancy on a periodic basis after 10th May, and the tenancy agreement has terms which state this is possible if no renewal tenancy is entered into.
Am I therefore ok to let the tenancy roll into periodic and serve the Government's Renters Right Act Information Sheet (link below) that was published a few days ago?
Am I correct in understanding that the Prescribed Info is not required to be re-served?
Thanks in advance.
Comments
-
That is my understanding. The tenancy will become periodic from 1 May and you have to send the info sheet to existing tenants to explain to them the changes.
The thing that I really don't like about that is the possibility of people taking advantage and renting short term, where they had to pay more for a 3 months or 6 months let previously.
Also the new laws that landlords must allow tenants to have pets without the allowance for the landlord to hold more deposit for the potential damage from pets, and we all know how much damage a puppy or a cat can make to a property.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards