We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Stamp Duty Question
Hi,
I have a question regarding stamp Duty.
I currently have a buy to let on personal names (myself and wife)
We currently live with parents
We are purchasing a new property for £450,000
The plan is to sell the buy to let and only own the new property.
In the current situation Do i need to pay the additional stamp duty or do I not. (My Main residence is currently with my parents)
If i need to pay the additional stamp duty am i able to claim the extra back once the buy to let is sold ?
Thank you
Comments
-
So is the new property another buy to let or is it going to be your home?
0 -
the new property will be our new home, it will not be a buy to let
0 -
You may need some professional advice here. Not an expert but my understanding is:
You pay additional rate stamp duty if, when you buy a property, you then own more than 1 property. So in this case yes, you would pay the additional rate.
You can claim back the additional rate if the property you are buying replaces your main residence and you then, within 36 months, sell your main residence.
As youre not replacing or selling your main residence, this doesn't seem to apply. You may be better selling the buy to let first, which would avoid the additional sdlt charge.
0 -
I had a similar situation, I had a buy to let but myself was renting a flat, when it came time to buy my first residential property I paid the additional rate stamp duty. As it happens I did sell my buy to let within three years of purchase but it was irrelevant as it only counts if you sell your previous main residence, which it was not, it was a buy to let and previously I was living in a different flat.
You need to pay the additional stamp duty , you are not able to claim the extra back once the buy to let is sold, sorry.
1 -
I agree with @JadEle. Unless you have lived in the let property within the last three years as your only or main residence, then selling it after your purchase of a new home, will not entitle you to recover the extra 5% stamp duty land tax due on your new home.
(I am assuming you are buying in England so that the relevant stamp duty is stamp duty land tax.)
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards