We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PHOENIX LIFE - Policy Payout (supposedly??!)

Hi. Can someone tell me whether this is a scam? I received a letter to my address, addressed to 'The Occupier' and it referenced my late father (who passed away 16 years ago) saying that they are "trying to find the above named person, for whom we hold no current address". It asked to complete the form they sent to enable to trace him or to call them. So, I called them (with caution). A lady called Erin said that they used to be called Sunlife Financial of Canada, then changed to Lincoln Financial & Liberty, and now are part of Standard Life and are known as Phoenix Life. They said that they are using a tracing service and found that my father had a policy "for decades" and they want to find the next of kin in order to release the money to

I asked her what info she needs (told her I am not prepared to give personal information) and she said, she would need the next of kin info; his date of passing; a copy of his will; death certificate; relationship certificate (so marriage if my mum, or birth if mine) and then they can release the policy information. Then the only information they would require thereafter would be bank details to release the money from the policy to and there is nothing to pay them.

Now, neither my mother or I are aware of my father having any such policy. I why would they find it 16 years after his death? And why would they send it to my house when my father never lived here or was registered here? And how would they know that he was my father?

Something doesn't feel right and perhaps I am overly suspicious. But if someone could help me with this and tell me if this is ligit or a scam, I would be grateful

The details on their letter (which looks photocopied - doesn't even have colour headed paper) says:
phoenixlife.co.uk/enquiries
claims@phoenixlifesupport.co.uk
0345 072 0223
0r
01256841414 (from abroad)

POBOX 7019
basingstoke RG24 4LY

I called the 01256 number as I didn't know whether the 0345 was a fully charged number. Just worried now whether it's one of those numbers that then puts a virus on the phone

Feeling very paranoid about it now - so would really appreciate anyone replying to this please.

Thanks

Comments

  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I called the 01256 number as I didn't know whether the 0345 was a fully charged number. Just worried now whether it's one of those numbers that then puts a virus on the phone

    Pretty sure that is not a thing.

  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Life Companies have an ongoing obligation to trace beneficiaries etc of lost policies.

    That letter sounds a standard trace letter, particularly as the details match the website.

    Incidentally Sun Life of Canada is part of the Phoenix Group who are currently in the midst of rebranding to Standard Life.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,125 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Definitely not a scam, you could be in for a windfall.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Now, neither my mother or I are aware of my father having any such policy

    That is probably why it still exists.

    . I why would they find it 16 years after his death? And why would they send it to my house when my father never lived here or was registered here? And how would they know that he was my father?

    They employ tracing companies who try to locate the individual or potential family members.

    Something doesn't feel right and perhaps I am overly suspicious. But if someone could help me with this and tell me if this is ligit or a scam, I would be grateful

    All sounds legit and normal.

    Just worried now whether it's one of those numbers that then puts a virus on the phone

    A telephone call cannot do that.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.