We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Valerian getting rid of.
We have valerian growing in our garden and finding it very
difficult to get rid of. .Tried digging it out but roots have gone under
walls etc . Is there any weedkiller which is glyphosate free which
would work..
Many thanks.
Comments
-
Why do you want 'glyphosate free?' The reason there's so much glyphosate around is its lack of persistence in the soil, or the digestive systems of animals, compared with alternatives, many of which are for professional use.
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
2 -
I haven't tried the new formula but SBK has always been good for this.
It used to have to be mixed with oil so it stuck to the freshly cut area but needs searching to see if this is still the case. I used it on valerian and brambles.
Cut close to the base and paint on.
I put some in a bottle with a cap and used a small paintbrush to apply and it's easier to carry around.
I tried all sorts with valerian and this was the only thing that did the job and quickly.
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
1 -
Weedkiller is generally taken up with leaves so with a herbaceous plant like valerian you'd get a higher dose into the plant if you didn't cut it right back first.
1 -
And equally the reason there is so much bad press to be found about glyphsate from a google serach is that is it such a commonly used weedkiller.
1 -
I'd prefer to use it on a cut surface which is small, direct into the plant system for brushwood and thick leaves plants as per how Sbk is recommended.
With valerian which has thick shiny leaves any applied there would roll straight off into the soil and not help at all.
I tried a lot of gentler, chemical free ideas on this particular plant to no effect. It's not a primary coloniser for nothing.
1000 seeds per plant if I remember correctly. Beautiful if it's where it doesn't overtake your garden, break up stone walls and paving.
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
0 -
It's the only one approved in the UK for use in and around watercourses. And of course, unless a person buys only organic vegetables and fruit, there's a good chance the farmer has used it at some time.
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

