We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Management fee overpayment

I have just managed to reduce my costs to the managment company where I live as I spotted the lease excludes my flat from paying charges for the rental costs of extra land used for parking for the flats, and leased to the management company by a third party. My flat does not use this land but has use of parking behind the flats, not the extra rented land. I have lived here for 19 years and always paid a monthly amount that included the part cost of the rental land. Managing agent has recently changed and this is how the anomaly has come to light,as am no longer charged that amount. Have I a claim against the previous managing agent for the extra I have paid since 2007? If so, how do I go about it?

Comments

  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 2,359
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I would have thought that your claim should be against the freeholder, not the previous management company. The management company acts on behalf of the freeholder, now that the old management company is gone they shouldn't be involved in any claim you make.

    I would speak to the current management company about it first, though they may be unwilling to give you a straight answer. While the current management company is not at fault I would have thought they would be involved in managing any claims between you and the freeholder.

  • Sam_666
    Sam_666 Posts: 330
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    No, you can only claim back up to 6 years.
    How? You write to MC a letter outlining what you said in your post.

  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,777
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 25 March at 8:23AM

    Sam_666 said

    No, you can only claim back up to 6 years.

    It's more likely to be 12 years - because the agreement to pay service charges was part of the lease, and the lease was signed as a deed.

    @staplr44 - Let's say you successfully claimed back the overcharge for the last 12 years. That means that other leaseholders have been undercharged for the last 12 years.

    So the management company would have to send bills to the other leaseholders demanding they they pay 12 years worth of under payments - but that's not really your problem.

    But FWIW, in spite of the above, I've seen at least one tribunal case where the judge said it was unreasonable to challenge service charges from many years ago. The judge said the leaseholder should have challenged them at the time.

    But a judge would make a decision based on the specific facts of each case - so a judge might decide differently in your case.

    staplr44 said

    Have I a claim against the previous managing agent for the extra I have paid since 2007? If so, how do I go about it?

    If there are 2 parties on your lease (Freeholder and Leaseholder) - then your claim is likely to be against your freeholder.

    If there are 3 parties on your lease (Freeholder, Management Company and Leaseholder) - then your claim is likely to be against your current Management Company - and not the previous management company.

    You can start by writing a letter. Ultimately you can take them to tribunal.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.