We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Do I have any options left?
Hello, I am hoping to get some advise please.
Back in December 2020, I made a £360 hotel booking using my Amex charge card for a stay in February 2021. The stay was subsequently cancelled by the hotel due to the COVID lock-down.
At the time I was happy for the hotel to keep the cash and for me to have a credit. Ultimately I have forgotten about it until about 6 months ago and I reached out to the hotel asking for a refund which was denied due to the amount of time that has lapsed. The hotel offered to let me book a stay by the end of March 2026 which I won't be able to do. I have asked for an extension until the end of April, which was denied.
I then reached out to Amex in the faint hope that they would help, which again, they were unable to do so due to the amount of time that had passed and the charge card does not have Section 75 protection.
So I was wondering do I have any option left or do I just have to suck it up and put it down as a lesson learnt?
Comments
-
Sadly not via your Charge Card.
Life in the slow lane0 -
Did The credit have an expiry date attached to it?
1 -
Purely a thought but could you book it, then ring the hotel directly and ask the reception staff to move it (even paying an admin fee) ?
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
0 -
You should have asked for a refund at the time your booking was cancelled.
Sorry but its too late now.
You could blaspheme them on social media to see if that would work but otherwise forget it.
0 -
I feel this is an important question, was it time-limited?
If not they are trying to change the terms and you are still in time to make a court claim.Let's Be Careful Out There1 -
There was no time limit of when I needed to rebook by after my original booking was cancelled. When I reached out 6 months ago, they made it sound in a way that they give "reinstating" the credit as a goodwill gesture but I needed to book by the end of the March 2026.
0 -
Did they put that in writing?
0 -
They should have refunded you in full when they cancelled.
Assuming this is in England or Wales, then you have six years to sue them for the refund but given you made the new booking request within that time period, it should have been honoured (it was effectively a prepaid booking, so you were redeeming it on that date).
You could attempt a formal complaint then letter before action / small claims; some correspondence with hotel with a mention of 'the credit' would likely be enough for a court to consider the matter.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


