We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Death Certificate retention
advice please!
My Dad died in July 2024. Whilst sorting paperwork I found some documents from ReAssure relating to trusts he had set up for a charity when he was their treasurer. I passed these to the charity along with Dads death certificate so they could change ownership. This was October 2024 and ReAssure have still not returned the death certificate. I contacted them a few weeks ago stating I would go to the ombudsman if they didn’t respond. They now state that they did have the original certificate but only keep records for 6 months so don’t know where it is 🙄 or an address if it was sent anywhere. My Mum died 3 weeks after my Dad and I purchased 3 death certificates for each, and I find it very upsetting that I’m now missing one of Dads with no apology or ownership, I thought they’d have to keep records and documents for longer? Any advice gratefully received
Comments
-
Ask them to pay you enough money so that you can order a new certificate.
4 -
I ordered 10 copies of the death certificate for the estate I dealt with and I think I got 6 back. I didn't bother to chase up on the 4 that went walkies.
I'd just ask for the money to purchase another certificate if you need/want to replace the missing one.
I hope you sent one of the official copies and not the original.
1 -
I donlt think you ever get the 'original' - that's the entry on the register. All you ever get are copies, even if you get them at the time you register the death
1 -
Does it really matter anymore? You still have two copies and are unlikely ever to need them for anything other than family records in the future.
0 -
From personal experience, most but not all organisations return DCs. Going to an ombudsman about it is rather extreme.
I agree with KP, you are now unlikely to need one for official purposes
If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales1 -
I agree but I would still ask the firm to pay me the cost of replacing it, mainly to make the point that their failure to safeguard documentation incurs a cost to them.
0 -
Reassure have a poor reputation for customer service, so not surprising.
At least it is only a death certificate they have lost, and not your pension.
0 -
It depends on what you mean by "safeguard". Their policy may be to scan all documents into their computer, then drop the originals into the shredding bin.
If it sticks, force it.
If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




