We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

My DMP diary - 2026 (year 1)

1…910121415

Comments

  • InDebtEnby
    InDebtEnby Posts: 382
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I really struggled with a weekly budget because my weeks vary, so if I was buying a lot of food staples, then the budget was shot and I was starting low the week after. A monthly budget is much better and I can stick to it without moving money around all the time.

    Current No Spend Challenge: 9/13
    2025 No Spend Days: 114/150
    Bank Loan Original End Date: 08/2030
    Current End Date: 01/2030
  • Catscoffeecake
    Catscoffeecake Posts: 117
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I too find monthly budgeting easier. I find with my spending money at beginning of month I look at what have planned already for that month and estimate how much I will need. Then it tells me roughly whats left for rest of month for unexpected or unplanned activities

    Debts

    Nationwide Loan - £9108.12/£11,000

    Credit Card - £4033.28/£3623.18

    Dad Loan £7,000/£7000 - Payments on hold

    Savings

    Emergency Fund - £1000/£1000

  • ArtyJ931
    ArtyJ931 Posts: 416
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I just can’t do monthly. I would end up with nothing left for at least 2 weeks! I may adjust somehow but monthly budget is def not the answer for me

    DFW info LBM: March 26

    Total 03/26 69,481

    My DMP Diary - year 1

    "You put one foot in front of the other and one day you look back and see that you have climbed a mountain" Ready for the climb.💪

  • Rhyddid2026
    Rhyddid2026 Posts: 1,537
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I do fortnightly, it's enough for two food deliveries a month. I tend to do a slightly bigger food shop at the start of the month (often includes cleaning products etc) and then a slightly smaller one mid month. It also means I can take advantage of buying larger pieces of meat or multipack deals and halving/freezing them which I couldn't do if I had a weekly budget.

    When I lived in NZ I was paid fortnightly and it proved to be just right for me.

    Debts                04/01/25       01/09/26  
    CC1                   £14,122.71     - 
    CC2                     -                   £6,975
    CC3                   £6,112.60      £6,495
    1st Direct CC     £176.03         £151.44
    CC total             £20,411.34    £13,621.44
    OD                     £1100            £0
    Car loan             £4,000          £2,400
    1st Direct Loan  £10,684.44    £3,825
    Total                  £36,195.78    £19,846.44
    EF £2,800
    HF £3
    EB £250
  • ArtyJ931
    ArtyJ931 Posts: 416
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 August at 5:49PM

    Week 22 check in

    Debt things:

    • I rejected another affordability claim investigator view this week and it has been escalated to the ombudsman.
    • The first affordability complaint that I rejected has mysteriously been closed with no further response so I have contacted the investigator to find out what is happening.
    • So out of 4 affordability complaint cases (1 includes x4 loans with one provider) 2 are still being investigated, 1 has been escalated to the ombudsman and 1 is closed inexplicably. Hoping for good news at some point.
    • Had a few letters and randomly a few phone calls too this week (unknown and silenced). First phone calls I've had in a while.
    • Another default notice in the post.

    Other money things:

    • The budgeting/ pots challenge continues unabated. Ran out of money 3 days before the end of the week due to an unplanned but necessary long car journey needing twenty pounds worth of fuel. Considering the fortnightly idea to see if that would improve things…
    • Have rejigged my budget and pots. Now have a white goods pot and have a 'new car' pot as my car is nearly 17 years old and on 120k miles so I've estimated will need changing in 4-5 years. At today's prices I'll need 5-6K to get a 10yo car at that point. So I'm starting to save now - this money came out of my 'emergency fund/ full and final fund' payments so they will be lower.
    • I have a pay rise coming next month which excitingly works out at 165.00 gross per month but after pension, tax, NI and student loans I'll be far less excitingly only 42.00 better off. Better than a kick in the face but not much.
    • I have been trying to transfer a load of AVIOS to nectar so I can get a freebie shop but it's not playing ball and BA have finally responded to my customer service query to say that there is a hold on my account while 'security checks' are carried out that they can't override and don't know when they'll be carried out. So tough luck but keep trying. Le sigh.

    DFW info LBM: March 26

    Total 03/26 69,481

    My DMP Diary - year 1

    "You put one foot in front of the other and one day you look back and see that you have climbed a mountain" Ready for the climb.💪

  • blue2mills
    blue2mills Posts: 6
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

    Can you advise please on the best way to stop people contacting/chasing via text or email? For example: I am trying to stop Lloyds Bank from chasing me via Text and email, but I am unable to remove these options in the app for the card itself?

  • ArtyJ931
    ArtyJ931 Posts: 416
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I changed my contact details to a new email address I use just for the DMP and read weekly. Prevents that sense of urgency.

    I have set up my phone so that all unknown calls are silenced and I don’t get notified.

    Those steps have helped me not feel harrassed. Also knowing it’s all computer automated and there is nobody there deciding to call or email you helps too!

    DFW info LBM: March 26

    Total 03/26 69,481

    My DMP Diary - year 1

    "You put one foot in front of the other and one day you look back and see that you have climbed a mountain" Ready for the climb.💪

  • blue2mills
    blue2mills Posts: 6
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

    Thank you so much for your advice :-)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.