We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Hmo or similar passive income

Hi

I am looking at hmo for a while as a investment .

I currently have a property worth around £550/600k mortgage free 40+ yo .

I am looking to release equity from my house to purchase.

I require the extra income to reduce hours at work .

I do manual warehouse work .

And it's got to the point I dread the thought of going to work .

So I have to find something where I can work for myself I can't keep doing this for 20+ years.

Whats the safest bet with hmo start with a 3/4 bed or straight to a 6 ?

I live down south so house prices are extremely high should I venture further away where there cheaper ?

But I can not check up on the property?

Higher ROI ?

Is there still money in these type of rentals ?

I no buy to let is Preety much dead.

It would also be towards my retirement when the mortgage is paid in 25 years

Of what I can see

4 bedroom hmo (hull)

mortgage 25 years

Repayment £800

Interest only £550

Water £100

Gas electric £200

Insurance £30

WiFi TV license etc £70

Council tax £200

Repairs £100

£1250/£1500

Annual rent is £22000

So £7000 if I manage myself

-2200 if run via estate agency.

£4800 income

Not accounting for periods without tenants unpaid rent etc

So say £4000 a year to be conservative .

I'm aware I can deduct utilities for tax purposes but not the mortgage .

So around £2800 in tax at 20% ?

So I'll be lucky to make £1000/2000 a year.

Is this accurate or am I missing something?

Is there any other viable options for passive income using the equity in my house?

Thanks

Comments

  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,681
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Letting property, especially a HMO, doesn’t provide a passive income.

  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 3,723
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Are you sure you understand th huge complexities of owning a buy to let ?

    It's not worth the risks and those risks are about to get a lot worse

  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 3,723
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Down sizing to something about £250k then investing the balance sounds a better option

  • dinosaur66
    dinosaur66 Posts: 379
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite

    HMO are the biggest money earners as far as being a landlord is concerned

    but you really only want one with a current HMO license and been done to a decent standard as you are working full time and you are not going to buy one within 200 miles of where you live

    me personally i would not take equity out of my own property

    and you definatley do not want a HMO as a first rental property -they are for experienced large portfolio landlords only IMO

    i used to travel to withernsea (just past hull ) from stratford and it was over 4 hours always traffic somewhere although a1 is better now

    if i was you starting out i would try durham / one of the towns on the a1 corridor and look to buy a decent turnkey recently modernised for selling with a modernish boiler/epc C and low maintence garden / 2 bed bungalow /

    60k outlay / rent would be £600 approx a month -get a local handyman to do repairs /clean gutters / fix fences/ and a self employed gas man to do boiler maintence / pay rent direct to yourself and bungalows are easy to sell if if does not go smooth / easier to maintain and usually in a quiet OAP area and in my experience tenants who look after them well .

    durham does not have great capital gain but lots of areas are underwater if you bought in 2022

    can you retire on it no / but 3 of them brings in 20k gross plus 12k state pension and your work pension

    depends on your spending habits

    as to passive income if you can delegate to a trusted handyman / give the tenants his number and go for a finished property rather than a do upper less profit but no stress and have an open weekend with regards picking your tenants / me i like OAP in bungalows never had a missed payment of any of them ever and at least in my experience keep them very well /

    my nephew looks after 24 HMOs for an investor in chelmsford and says it is non stop every day

  • freesha
    freesha Posts: 492
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It is NOT a passive income. It's a residential lettings business, so treat it with the seriousness it needs, or don't bother.

  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 5,925
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    4 bedroom hmo (hull)
    mortgage 25 years
    Repayment £800
    Interest only £550
    Water £100
    Gas electric £200
    Insurance £30
    WiFi TV license etc £70
    Council tax £200
    Repairs £100
    £1250/£1500
    Annual rent is £22000
    So £7000 if I manage myself
    -2200 if run via estate agency.
    £4800 income
    Not accounting for periods without tenants unpaid rent etc
    So say £4000 a year to be conservative .

    You need to be clear what costs you're including in which scenario and you're switching between monthly and annual figures which doesn't help.

    1. The £7000 seems to reflect paying an interest only mortgage? In which case that doesn't account for paying off the property, and after 25 years you'd have to sell as its usually hard to get another mortgage at that age. If you are anticipating a paid off property then you need to account for the repayment mortgage cost.
    2. £4800 → £4000 is accounting for rental voids, ie £800? I would plan for 1 month a year, ie 8-10% of your annual rent which is £1800
    3. You're not accounting for changeover costs, which is usually higher in a HMO as people see it as short / mid term accomodation and don't live there for years. Things like inventory, cleaning, deposit protection, decoration, gas certs, changing locks, etc. The agent commission may cover some of this but tradespeople will be charged on top.
    4. You do get tax relief at 20% on the mortgage interest, not on the capital repayment part.
  • Guna
    Guna Posts: 44
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Being a landlord is not passive income even if you have an excellent management in place. HMO is probably the least passive of them all because instead of one tenant you have 4 or 6, each with a different issue and each coming and going at a different time.

    The only time I was able to make a decent profit was when I did AirBnB and had an absolutely amazing management company who handled everything. Even then, there were near monthly calls having to buy this and replace that. With the council tax uplift on second homes, this also have now become dead in the water and I had to sell my rental flat last year.

    At this point, I would honestly consider freeing up some cash to retrain and changing careers for something more sustainable.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.