We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Eviction after section 21

2»

Comments

  • PostHoc25
    PostHoc25 Posts: 109
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    It's really nice to hear at least some agents are helping landlords see the positives of HB tenants. I've never missed a payment and the rent has increased 6 times since I moved in 2018.Of course now my UC doesn't cover the full amount so it comes out of living costs but having been a couchsurfer in the past, I always prioritise rent payments.

  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,928
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 12 March at 5:28PM

    Thanks

    » As an aside, they'll not stop paying rent

    That's a relief, I wondered about that.

    I've talked with the agent trying to find another place. They want something pretty near the school - sounds like a few miles. I asked about another place on that agents books and they said the distance was fine but they didn't like the road the property was in. The agent is going to talk to them again today and hopefully they'll realise they can't be too picky even if they consider it temporary.

    I've told the agent I'm wiling to help with finances if it'll help. Maybe guarantee the rent for a year or something like that - I wouldn't be a guarantor for the lease as that's open ended.

    Tomorrow I'm going to call round a few other agents as the one I'm selling through doesn't have much incentive to get them out as they'll stop making money when they move.

  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,928
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I’ve checked my landlords insurance (Direct Line) and it looks like I might be covered for legal expense and any rent outstanding - but it’s a long document(s) and might have exclusions, not a big concern at the moment.

    One issue is that it is due for renewal on 22 March. I presume I need to tell them this is happening? I also need to remove a property from the policy.

  • Myci85
    Myci85 Posts: 657
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Depends on council and availability of properties probably. In my area there just are not enough places vacant, so whilst having a child makes them a priority, they are still often moved into temporary accommodation whilst waiting for something else to come up.

  • se2020
    se2020 Posts: 742
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Download the NB5 form and look through the requirements on that.

    There are several documents required to be submitted with that form that you might have to dig out.

    Like a copy of the FIRST tenancy agreement and a copy of EVERY gas safety certificate and so on.

  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,928
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I've already done that. The agent has emailed me the documents and they look ok (to me).

    That should be ok. The agents will have those, I've already asked about the gas certificates and those are automatically sent.

    One oddity, I guess I don't understand it

    17c. If there is no relevant gas appliance in any room occupied by the Defendant, has the Claimant displayed in a prominent position in the premises throughout the tenancy a copy of the gas safety record with a statement endorsed on it that the Defendant is entitled to have their own copy of the gas safety record on request to the Claimant at an address specified in the statement?

    Looking on t'interweb it seems I should answer NO and this is only if gas safety certificates have not been issued - I'm guessing it means there are rooms in the property that do have appliances but not those occupied by the tenant. Ambiguous - could mean that there is a room occupied by the tenant without an appliance. I see some landlords have answered this incorrectly.

    I'm going to get a solicitor or eviction company to draft the accelerated possession order and review everything. Having problems as searches all seem to go back to a few companies and they all seem to have a lot of bad reviews for anything other than just submitting the forms. Not responding to queries or solicitors not turning up to hearings. Looks like it's not worth paying for much in the way of service and I'm going to have to try to get to court myself (health allowing) in case no ones there to represent me.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.