We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Personal car lease on SMP
Hi,
I'm due to go on maternity leave/pay from July (I have a car allowance that I get to keep) & I have a car on personal lease that is due to end in November. Does anybody know or had any experience with getting approved for a new personal lease whilst on maternity pay?
Google doesn't give me a very clear answer - some sites say they can't discriminate yet others say it's up to the lender if they feel you can't afford the payments.
I can more than afford the payments even with the reduced income due to surplus savings, I just don't want to be left with no car at the end of the year (appreciate I could buy a car with cash to see me through until I'm back at work but would rather get a new lease in place)
For clarity, the lease is nothing to do with the company I work for, I take on personal leasing with help from my monthly car allowance.
Thank you :)
Comments
-
Ultimately it will be the finance company who decide if you can afford it or not and you will be credit checked as normal. Your savings are irrelevant for any credit application.
1 -
Just buy a car then. You'll save some money!
--Savings: 26/09/14 the day I reached 100k, 24/07/20 200k, 23/08/24 300k
Completed on first house 2025 mortgage-free
Student Loan paid off 03/07/24
Savings £39k1 -
Can you extend the lease?
0 -
No - that was my first thought but it's with VW and it's not something they offer apparently!
0 -
VWFS is very generous with extensions. I'm surprised you don't get that option. They almost try to force it on customers. I started getting letters 6 months before end of lease contract.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards